Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 73
gustavo_c_vasconcellos
10667 Views, 72 Replies

Robot 2018

Any news about Robot 2018?

Do you know what's new in the 2018's version?

Gustavo

72 REPLIES 72
Message 41 of 73

Dear all,

the post it talk about big project teams......big projects....and so on, but everybody know that all over the world the big projects of the most important design firms are made in TEKLA and not in Revit. Today, with years of development, Revit is not realy usable to talk with builders, it can do only sexy documents for reinforced concrete structures as for steel structures.

Probably adsk don't know that Robot is one the best Structural Analysis software in the world and that with a little bit of development it can be even enhanced and win with all the competitors (SAP, MIDAS, DLUBAL.....) It looks like to sell a new warm Ferrari to buy an used and old Prius.

With the time that adsk develop this kind of technology, our competitors will arrive over the moon, using our back as steps.....

I love Robot, I love its usability and its free programming and customization....

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
Message 42 of 73

I wanted to respond to your questions about the future of Robot Structural Analysis.  

Robot Structural Analysis continues to be an integral and viable part of Autodesk’s structural engineering portfolio. We see RSA important for structural engineers that need a robust analysis and code based design solution that connects to BIM today or on future projects.   We encourage our customers to continue using RSA and the various its integrations with other products that help improve your design efforts (ie, Revit, Advance Steel, Dynamo, Excel etc). 

Thanks.

Mike

https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png
Message 43 of 73
Rafacascudo
in reply to: gustafm1

Mike , thanks for the info , but here are more questions for you to answerSmiley Wink

1- Is React dead?

2- If Autodesk considers RSA an important software for structural engineers , why the 2 last versions(at least) 2017 and 2018 had extremely ridiculous new features(almost none) and updates??

3- At the present situation of Robot ,Don´t you think it is becoming very difficult to have the courage to stick with RSA ,Paying expensive yearly renewal, when you notice that the big Rivals like SAP , Sofistik , Midas , Dlubal , Scia  , improve their software ,month after month , with new features and updates ???

I have some practice on almost all of the softwares above , and I can tell you that , considering the whole package ( features , learning curve , User interface , code check ,support), after more than 16 years  using Robot on a daily basis , I used to consider it the best structural sofware by far . Not so sure  right now .

I hope that you, native guys from autodesk, to be sincere with us , and tell us what are really your plans for us, ancient and new users??

If you can´t deliver what RSA users want , which is very clear on this thread , please sell Robot Millenium back to Robobat guys or anyone who is really interested on making Robot the best structural analysis software it once was and still deserves and can be.

Right now ,Robot  is just a secondary actor on a BIM play which not everyone likes or needs to attend.

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 44 of 73

Dear guys,

concerning the question number 2, I think that the best version of robot is 2015. This is the version that we use in the office (even if we paid for the update up to 2018).

Other versions include only harmful modifications like:

• the node snap that is worse than before;
  • unexpected lose of bars properties;
  • slow down zoom of the model properties after verification;
  • a lot of crashes;
  • non compatibility with googledrive;

Which is for you the best version?

M

Message 45 of 73

Hello, we use the 2016 version because of the added option of using the multiple processors available in the computer. This option really really makes faster calculations compared to 2015 and it is noticeable when analyzing high rise buildings...

In fact, this is the only beneficial update made since 2014, I guess...

Best,

Message 46 of 73
FADIACHKAR4543
in reply to: gustafm1

😞

Expected a much more elaborate response from Autodesk than this general brief and vague reply...

Wake up guys and RIP Robot...

To all interested in building design, take a look at Etabs ans SAFE, go to CSI website and watch the videos; it is way way way advanced from Robot...

I feel the wind of change approaching, too bad,  after almost 20 years...

Thank you Autodesk for not being honest with your customers...

Message 47 of 73

I feel the same. I have been a Robot user since it was owned by Robobat (version 15). Since Autodesk take-over, I have seen useful features disappearing one by one (retaining walls, calcs, cbs, etc) and right now I'm at the point where, hoping for a great future, I convinced 3 companies to switch to Robot. Autodesk's attitude is sad. Personally I think they've already killed it but they just don;t want to admit it. Looking for another solution. Tekla Structural Designer looks good for my needs.

Message 48 of 73
shefypattambi
in reply to: sanderson

You are right. Also ETABS and SAP is good it seems that Tekla structural designer is a promising solutions for structural engineering community.

Message 49 of 73

ROBObat!ROBObat!ROBObat!ROBObat!ROBObat!

Can you buy back ARSAP again?

Message 50 of 73

This is exactly my dream!!!!!!

I'm training with the use of SAP2000, but nothing it's like Robot. I think that I will never abandon it!

I'm really sad!!!

Cheers

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
Message 51 of 73

Hi,

unfortunatly for all of us it seem things are exactly the opposite of what we hopeSmiley Sad........attached pdf file is self-explanatory........

Bye

Roberto

Message 52 of 73

I am on a trial with robot and after reading this post I am having serious thoughts about stop using robot and start a trial with ETABS.

I think it was a waste of time trying to develop a new software (REACT) instead they should have concentrated on Robot, a few more features and it could have been the most complete software out there.

I am a new user who has not yet decided on what software to invest my money on, what would you advise me?

Message 53 of 73
Anonymous
in reply to: Μηχανικος

It really depends on what you will be using the software for. In my case we seem to use concrete, steel and masonry quite frequently and it seems to me that RISA contains most of the features that we are looking for. It also has up-to-date codes for North American and Canadian standards unlike RSA which seems to be a bit slow in adopting newer codes. Data output is also very easy to obtain and provides essentially all the info we need for our designs. Not as user friendly as RSA but definitely much more Engineer friendly IMO. SAP and ETABS also sounds like a very good choice but it seems way more pricey than RSA and RISA.

Message 54 of 73

I would suggests to choose ROBOT as your day to day analysis software. I have ETABS too but  8  times out of ten I always used ROBOT for its user's friendliness, ETABS is really good as well for multi-story bldg analysis no doubt about that. As I mentioned in previous post, technical support for ROBOT is second to none. Although, it is really a personal preference but I encourage you to study ROBOT and you will discover  that it is really handy to use .

Message 55 of 73
shefypattambi
in reply to: saclovitzky

But if they stop the support for the robot and moved to the cloud  what is the point of learning the software.

Message 56 of 73

I think i have to take back what i said about React structures, on my previous post I said it was a waste of time and that they should have concentrated on robot instead....Well after watching this video of react structures I think i was totally wrong. The software looks great and the interface looks refreshed, i cant wait for this one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5jYWJ81BI

Come on guys, they are obviously onto something, it looks like a lot of work has been put into react structures and this video is from 2015. I had no idea this was still going on. Probably thats the reason they are not updating robot, they are putting everything on react structures.

Imagine if it gets released soon and has all the features that you guys have been asking for. wow cant wait. I only hope, we the new engineers can afford it, or maybe it will be like fusion 360, free Smiley Tongue

Great work guys keep it up and hurry.

Message 57 of 73

Don't hold your breath. Read this whole thread.
For now, React is like Elvis. Dead but with a tiny hope it will ressurect some day😃😃😃

Rafael Medeiros
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 58 of 73

Dear Μηχανικος

It seems you are exited a lot about React Structure like me...Please read this post from Autodesk. It may be helpful to reduce the amount of your disappointment at the end.

http://blogs.autodesk.com/bim-and-beam/2017/05/16/autodesk-structural-analysis/

Message 59 of 73
Rafacascudo
in reply to: shefypattambi

Interesting reading and reinforces that React may be dead , Robot will remain in 2nd plane and REVIt will get it all, including structural analysis.

At the end ,there´s an autodesk survey . that us ,Robot "lovers" should answer

survey.jpg

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 60 of 73
shefypattambi
in reply to: Rafacascudo

It seems that the current strategy of Autodesk is connected BIM through Cloud. So may be one day Revit too will replace based on the progression of  Autodesk Project Quantum.

http://aecmag.com/59-features/1241-autodesk-project-quantum-revit-bim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report