Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1011 Views, 8 Replies

one way solid slab

Hello

I tried many approaches to design the attached file as a one way ( X is the main direction) solid slab ( slab on beams), but didn't find the best one

1-first I modeled the slab as a shell with beams ( with offset) I end up by having Myy much bigger then Mxx and a very big deflection 17cm

2- I modeled the slab as a shell but with reduction of moment of inertia ( to let beams take the most of the moment) I end up bye having non-logic results for moments ( also Myy>Mxx) but with reasonable value of deflection 

3- I modeled the slab as a shell with material orthotropy with n2=0.001, I end up by having desired results of moments ( Mxx is the main moment) but with big deflection 14cm

I don't know which approach is correct, I will be attaching file here if anybody can help me

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Mohammed_Ata
in reply to: Anonymous

It is so clear in this tutorial 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Mohammed_Ata

@Mohammed_Ata can you please re-post the video, I can't find it.

Thank you

Message 4 of 9
Rafacascudo

@Anonymous your model was not attached , so we cannot be sure what are your Mxx and Myy without knowing what you are setting as your local direction to show the results. but...

1- 1st of all if you also want to have results for the slab , then you cannot use the simplified method  for distribution of the loads. Results from "Maps..." will show up but they will be completely wrong as the applied loads didn´t "pass" through the mesh nodes to go to its edges where they can find support. Imagining that you model has 4 beams and 4 pinned supports on the 4 corners , your applied loads will go directly to the longer beams. So Using the simplified method is only good for beam results and only  accurate if the load is  uniformly distributed and applied on the whole area of your slab/panel as the distribution is done using tributary areas. Simplified distribution can be very wrong for concentrated or contour loads!

2-For me , the best option to have results very similiar(as calculated by hand) to what you would have for an "ideal" one way slab would be using the material orthotropy as you already did.

Can you send the model ?

Geometry and slab thickness can have a great impact on the results

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Rafacascudo

@Rafacascudo thank you for your help, but as I said before when I used the " material orthotropy" method, I end up by having non logic value of slab deflection. 

Anyway I attached the file below for you to check it 

Message 6 of 9
Rafacascudo

not attached again. what is the file size?

Rafael Medeiros
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Rafacascudo

@Rafacascudo it's 7.77 MB. I'm trying to re-attached here

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

@Rafacascudo I tried to zip it

Message 9 of 9
Rafacascudo

@Anonymous

Your vertical displacements are way too high probably because you set the wrong slab orthotropy direction .

orthotropy direction.jpg

Using the correct direction , global X , deflections are in fact smaller when comparing to the  homogeneous slab type.

correct orthotropy direction.jpgMoment Mxx will be almost the same and Myy will be close to zero on the ortho slab.

Comparison model attached

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report