Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non linear combination with starting case

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
371 Views, 1 Reply

Non linear combination with starting case

Hello everybody,

i'm trying to understand how the nonlinear combination work with a starting case.

In fact, i have 3 load cases:

1. "Dead load" (DL) with pretension in the cables (i use temperature variation with tension only members for modeling the cables)

2. "Wind" (W)

3. "Temperature variation" (T)

Now i have to make the non linear combinations in ULS and SLS and i'm so confusing beetween two options:

1. 1.35DL + 1.5W + 0.9T with no starting case

2. 1.35DL + 1.5W + 0.9T with starting case (DL) (i check the case in "Definition of a starting case for non-linear analyses")

So, which one is correct ? i think the 2nd is right one, but when i use the coefficient 1.35 for DL, i'll multiply the pretension of my cables by 1.35 too, how can i do to maintain the cable pretension value in ULS combination?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

My personal choice would be to use cables instead of tension only bars with temperature but if so then I'd try the following:

1. DL1 - temperature + dead load as starting case

2. DL2 - dead load from DL1 that you would like to use ULS load factor for (no temperature load)

3. W

4. T

ULS: 1DL1 + 0.35DL2 + 1.5W + 0.9T + starting case switched on

but in addition I'd compare the results with 

1. DL1 - temperature + dead load as starting case

2. Other loads case being loads 0.35DL2 + 1.5W + 0.9T defined in a single simple load case + starting case switched on

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report