Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No convergence of nonlinear problem

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
tomislav.lalic
561 Views, 12 Replies

No convergence of nonlinear problem

Hi,

I get the error message on my 3D Truss model supported by cables, I have tried the solutions on this forum but nothing works. Please help.

Im attaching my model below.

Edit: new model attached, for some reason Robot made the cables as bars. Error still there.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi @tomislav.lalic 

Truss structure with such geometry is instable. Change model type to Frame 3D. Define releaes for bar which should be pinned.

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 3 of 13
Simau
in reply to: Krzysztof_Wasik

@tomislav.lalic 

Some tips about structure:

As said by @Krzysztof_Wasik  switch to 3D Frame

To avoid type 1 instabilities add posts and diagonals 'verticaly and horizontaly.

Increase the gap between cables

For selfweitght case uncheck "opposite to axis sens"

Increase members area

Try other setup cables to reach convergence for case 1

Test model attached

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13

I changed the structure type to 3D Frame and I'm still getting the same error. I'll attach the new model with some changes I didnt notice before in case I defined the releases wrong.

Changing the structure itself is not possible since this is an existing structure that is already built. I just got the assigment to make the model.

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 13
tomislav.lalic
in reply to: Simau

Changing the structure itself is not possible since this is an existing structure that is already built. I just got the assigment to make the model. I'll attach the new 3D Frame model that has some changes I didnt see before in the geometry but the error still persists Maybe I defined the releases wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 13
Simau
in reply to: tomislav.lalic

@tomislav.lalic 

Please check units and SW direction

Units.pngSW.png

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
tomislav.lalic
in reply to: Simau

Thank you for noticing my load are in wrong units, I fixed that and unchecked the self weight parameter but the error is still there. Addition error came up: "Matrix is not positive definite - the critical load may have been exceeded."

Corrected model attached.

Message 8 of 13

Hi @tomislav.lalic 

• Leave releases for RY only in poinned-pinned label (add other required releases after results verification)
  • Set the following parameters for calculations of non auxiliary load cases.

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1678270994190.png

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 9 of 13

Could you elaborate on the following:

"Leave releases for RY only in poinned-pinned label (add other required releases after results verification)"

Im not sure what you mean.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 13

Hi @tomislav.lalic 

Change releases definition to the following

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1678271317291.png

When after model calculation you will obtain non-zero moments in nodes where you expect zero then add release in required point 

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 11 of 13

But since its a truss structure, no moments should be present right? Except maybe in the upper and lower chords (I think that is the translation but not sure), so I'm not sure where do I make other necessary releases. Is it on the bars that have any moment value, or just on the bars that have substantial moment value?

I made 2 models with Ry release as you suggested. One with undivided upper and lower chords without any releases applies, and the other with divided upper and lower chords with Ry release applied.

Model 1 had no type 1 instability warnings during the calculations, Model 2 did.

Models and results in attachment.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Message 12 of 13

Hi @tomislav.lalic 

Truss model is a kind if idealization of the reality (I would say that there are very limited number of structures in reality which works as pure truss).  Since you simulate existing structure you have to decide where moments should be equal to zero (you should define additional releases in that points) and where non zero moments are allowed.

Instabilities type 1 are caused mainly by possibility of nodes rotation is nodes like node 1. In node 1 pinned connection works when release is defined for one member only. node 1 should be attached to second member (without release) to remove type 1 instability.

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1678303875643.png

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 13 of 13

Hi @tomislav.lalic 

Instead of modification of releases system in model 2 (to avoid instability type 1), you can also define small rotational elasticity (for instance 0.001 kN*m/rad). It will remove instability and minimize moments obtained in member ends.

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1678304419025.png

Krzysztof Wasik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report