Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moments in one way slabs

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Sally_Ameen
589 Views, 9 Replies

Moments in one way slabs

Hello Everyone,

I have modeled the one-way slab below (3 m short span X 16 m long span) supported by 30x50 cm RC beams on the edge and loaded with 5KN/m2 (without self weight), I used shell model and meshing 30x30 cm.

I see that the moments in the long span (Mxx) is higher than the moment in the short span (Myy) (while I expect the opposite!!)

Can anyone advice me what I have done wrong with my modelling.

Thanks in advance...

Moments in direction of long span:

MxxMxx

Moments in direction of short span:

MyyMyy

Sign convention in Robot Structural analysis:

Sign convention in RobotSign convention in Robot

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

HI @Sally_Ameen 

Share zipped model version for verification

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 3 of 10

sorry I couldn't attach the file at first

Message 4 of 10

Hi @Sally_Ameen 

Results correspnd to slab deformation. Mxx is bigger due to bigger deformation between axes 1-2 and 2-3.. Defined beams are not stiff enough to prevent slab span from deformation.

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1684497219470.png

You probably expect moment distribution corresponding to one way slab supported around perimeter. The moment for shorter span is bigger.

Krzysztof_Wasik_1-1684497240212.png

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 5 of 10

Hi @Sally_Ameen 

You probably expect moment distribution corresponding to one way slab supported along longer edge

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 6 of 10

Thank you Krzysztof, actually I was expecting that any slab having L-long/L-short >2 to behave as one-way slab (meaning: moment of short direction to be greater than moment of long direction)
Message 7 of 10

Sorry I didn't notice your attachment, yest this is exactly what I was expecting. did you make any change in the model?
Message 8 of 10

Hi @Sally_Ameen 

I have defined pinned supports along longer slab edges.

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1684498943705.png

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 9 of 10

It is clear thank you. One more question 🙂 why the moments at mid span is negative while I expect positive moment in mid span (is it just a sign convention in Robot)?

moment at midspan.JPG

Message 10 of 10

Hi @Sally_Ameen 

This is sign convention. Tension in z- layer is caused by negative Mxx or Myy moments

Krzysztof Wasik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report