Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model non convergence after changing spring from linear to non linear

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
NNBL
504 Views, 12 Replies

Model non convergence after changing spring from linear to non linear

Hello everyone

I have robot model  which is properly running for linear springs.  However when I run the model after changing the spring from linear to non-linear (i.e. uplift allowed in UZ+) it doesn't converge even for self weight. I tried applying rotational stiffness also, but that also didn't work. I am sharing robot model 

Regards

Nitin Bansal 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Krzysztof_Wasik
in reply to: NNBL

Hi @NNBL 

Corect parameters for load case 1

• Activate matrix update after each iteration
  • Increase tolerance  (0.001 should work)

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1671785210439.png

Refer to 

Non convergence while model calculation in Robot Structural Analysis

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 3 of 13
NNBL
in reply to: Krzysztof_Wasik

Helllo Mr. Wasik, 

Many thanks for the solution.  It worked for the load case 1,  however it doesn't work for many other load cases. I am not sure how the tolerance is decided and what will its impact on the results? I have shared the robot file, can you please help in analyzing load combination 9100 & 9101?

Regards

Nitin Bansal 

Message 4 of 13
Krzysztof_Wasik

Hi @NNBL 

Both cases converge with tolerance about 0.2 

I see that you have used imposed loads. Keep in mind that they are not working when applied in nonlinear supports (with uplift defined). Only rigid or elastisc(no uplift) supports can be used for nodes with imposed loads applied

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1671802182025.png

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 5 of 13
NNBL

Hello @Krzysztof_Wasik 

I am not sure if it is correct to say that non-linear spring and imposed displacement doesn't work together.  I have analyzed multiple models in the past with such situations, they are running without any error. One of the models is attached for your reference. Please see and let me know if I am correctly understanding your message. 

Thanks & Regards

Nitin Bansal 

Message 6 of 13
Krzysztof_Wasik

Hi @NNBL 

I would recommend following Robot Help limitations. Imposed displacement applied in the nodes  supported with supports with uplift can cause incorrect results.

Please have a look at the simple example below where imposed displacement defined for support with uplift, results in incorrect displacement

Example:

For two identical beams imposed displacement UZ=-10 cm was applied to nodes 1 and 3.

Nodes 2 and 4 are fixed.

Node 3 is supported with elastis support  in both UZ+and UZ-.

Node 1 is supported with elastic support in UZ- (UZ+ uplift considered)

For both beams displacement equal to imposed value (close to uz=10 cm  since support is elastic) is expected in nodes 1 and 3

After calculation expected results are obtained only for node 3 (supports with no uplift defined) while for  node 1 (uplift defined) incorrect displacement is presented. 

Krzysztof_Wasik_1-1672076751588.png

I would not recommend using imposed displacement, in nodes supported with supports, with uplift defined (following Robot Help description).

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 7 of 13
NNBL

Hi @Krzysztof_Wasik 

Thanks for your efforts!, 

I created the robot model similar to what you had created. Contrary to your observations, I am getting the same results for both the beams (see the image below). If possible can you please share your model, as I am bit concerned about many similar models on which my team is currently working. 

NNBL_0-1672397075135.png

Message 8 of 13
Krzysztof_Wasik

Hi @NNBL 

Please verify results in your mode after changing section to concrete beam 30x50.

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1672399196770.png

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 9 of 13
Simau

Hi @Krzysztof_Wasik 

Please why i get same deformation in this example

Imposed_dep.png

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
Krzysztof_Wasik
in reply to: Simau

Hi @Simau 

You have applide imposed displacement in nodes 1 and . We have discussed issue with imposed displacement application in nodes 2 and 4 (elastic supports with or without uplift defined)

Also bigger imposed displacement (UZ=-100 mm) was used.

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1672416431570.png

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 11 of 13
Simau

@Krzysztof_Wasik 

Sorry,

my mistake!

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
NNBL
in reply to: Simau

Hi @Krzysztof_Wasik 

Thanks for clarifying.

Can you please suggest any solution to this problem, as I to have change many models.

Message 13 of 13
Krzysztof_Wasik

Hi @NNBL 

As described in Robot Help, imposed displacement works when applied in the node with rigid or elastic support defined. Please keep in mind that when imposed displacement is applied to node with elastic support defined, structure displacement might be different that imposed displacement value, especially when imposed displacement is not uniformly defined for whole model (node displacement equal to imposed displacement is obtained only for rigid support).

Example

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1672821059436.png

When you would like to define imposed displacement for nonlinear elastic supports, I would suggest definition of separate load case and simulating expected initial structure displacement/deformation with forces  (not imposed displacements).

Krzysztof Wasik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report