Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16
saclovitzky
408 Views, 15 Replies

Mode 2 result

Hello,

Pls. find attached model and screenshot.I'm just wondering why Mode 2 in Modal analysis is showing to be "twisting",normally the first 2 modes are always deflecting in orthogonal directions. Am I correct on this?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

It seems normal. In that case, modes 2 and 3 are neighbors. To convince yourself of this, you can change the section of bars 3 4 24 25 to BR 300x600 and release ART-ART beams 30A32 35A37. After that you have the first two modes in the main axes.

Message 3 of 16
saclovitzky
in reply to: saclovitzky

I've tried this on a different software and my assumption is correct ,the first two modes shapes are acting on the two principal axes,not twisting.

Message 4 of 16
Simau

Hi @saclovitzky 

How do you interpret that for mode 2 the participating mass is zero, then is there really twisting?

twist1.png

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
saclovitzky
in reply to: Simau

@Simau try it.

Message 6 of 16
saclovitzky

@Simau it is still the same, when you convert the SW as mass, mode 2 shape is twisting?Any idea what cause it to twist rather than moving/deflecting to major axis?

Message 7 of 16
Simau

@saclovitzky 

As i told you in msg 4, there is not really twisting as the mobilzed mass on mode 2 is  zero.

You said : I've tried this on a different software and my assumption is correct

Could you post here frequencies and mobilized mass for mode 1 2 3 you obtain with the other software

M. Agayr
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
saclovitzky

@Simau as I mentioned before take the SW as mass source, there is really a twisting in mode 2.Did you try it yourself?

Message 9 of 16
Simau

Yes i tried it

Look at screenshot in msg 4, what i say is that in spite of theorical tsiwting in mode 2, no mass it activated by this mode

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
saclovitzky

@Simau pls. see attached files. Despite converting SW as mass source,still the same thing.

Message 11 of 16
saclovitzky

It looks like Mode 3 should be Mode 2 and vice versa!

Message 12 of 16
Simau

@saclovitzky 

Mass was already converted in your first model (density was taken into acount automatically).

In the secon model you converted the mass but you must tick neglect density

5story_mass_convert.jpg

Yes i saw that mode shap shows a twisting, but with no mass mobilized,  no efforts will be created.

May be the support team could give its opinion

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 13 of 16
Simau

If you complete your model with sismic cases you'll see below that there is no efforts neither reactions in twisting mode 2.

Mode2_Shear.png

extreme globaux.png

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
saclovitzky

We need help from the development team! 

Message 15 of 16
MartinTrs

@saclovitzky Please elaborate - why do you think that the first two modes always have to be orthogonal?

The modes of modal analysis depend on stiffness of the structure in different directions. I could easily create a structure that has first 9 modes in the weaker direction (see the picture). 

MartinTrs_0-1617084394845.png

In your case the stiffness difference in different directions is also large (in one number of columns is a lot smaller and the span of the beam is a lot larger than in the orthogonal direction)

Message 16 of 16
saclovitzky
in reply to: MartinTrs

Generally,if you have a regular structure that should be the case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report