Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masonry wall design

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
bjur
15548 Views, 28 Replies

Masonry wall design

Can robot design masonry shearwalls / bearing walls? There are many masonry structures here in the US and I assume a program this powerful could design structures like this. Do I just create a wall element with similar stiffness properties as a masonry wall? Can robot provide wall stress / loading summeries or do I need to sum forces in the plates by hand?
28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
Refaat
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Dear Artur

Greetings

Thank you for your clarification

Practically, in which case should I use (principle & complex) results?

Regards

Refaat

Message 22 of 29
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Refaat

Principle:

when you want to see stress 'flow' or when you want to calculate Tresca stress (may be interested for masonry Smiley Happy )

http://www.failurecriteria.com/misescriteriontr.html

Global/total displacements.

Complex:

von Mises stress, reinforcement calculations.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 23 of 29
Refaat

I was pretty sure will get the perfect answer

Thanks a lot , Dear Artur

Refaat

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous

Hi,

Can  I consider a masonry wall as concrete column (h/t > 4) ?

My second question is how to define the interface between masonry wall and RC frame? I don't know if the concept "compatible nodes" (which present the stiffness of the interface)  exist in Robot?

Thanks a lot

Message 25 of 29
Refaat
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

1. If I understand you correctly. You may use shell Panel as RC column but pay attention that the buckling verification wouldn't be considered in the panel design.
  2. You may use linear release (Rx) between the masonry wall and RC column. Please take a look to post (14) of this thread.

Thanks

Refaat

Message 26 of 29
ar2851

Auto-desk Robot is an amazing software, but it is a shame it does not have a masonry application. CMU walls are so abundant, it is hard to believe that Robot is still lacking in this aspect.

And please before you suggest any workarounds like defining panels, I suggest you firt familiarize with the design of masonry walls and acceptable software like IES Quickmasonry and  the USA National Masonry Association's Structural Masonry Design Software

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: Refaat

Dear friends, I really appreciate your discussion on the subject of masonry walls, because it has shed some light on how to use them in structural robots. So in this regard, I have a case in which a building has been passed to me in an IFC format file that comes from REVIT STRUCTURAL, therefore, apart from bringing beams and columns frames, it brings slabs and walls, that is, that ROBOT STRUCTURAL has recognized all these elements, therefore, I would like to take advantage of the workflow, to consider the walls but only as elements anchored on the slabs and I want them to be detached from side columns, beams and upper slabs, all this, just to use their own weight. So I would like to hear from one of you: 1) what would be the best way to model what I want in ROBOT STRUCTURAL?; 2) Would it be enough to separate with gaps at the edges of the wall panels at their upper and lateral ends from the frame and slab elements, and only add recessed supports to them at their bases? or; 3) Would you have to define free supports or relaxations for them, to explicitly tell ROBOT what to do on the edges of the wall panels at their upper and lateral ends? nothing to add, thanks and says goodbye, Arnoldo Roque

Message 28 of 29

Hi @Artur.Kosakowski
I can't find where this diagram come from in your post on ‎05-16-2016 02:42 AM. Is it Diagrams for bars--Reactions tab?

Message 29 of 29

The only thing I'd consider is to model a walls without openings and lintels and 'taking care' of them designing a wall separately (e.g. in some calculator) based on reduced forces obtained from Robot.

@Artur.Kosakowski  in this case, can you apply a custom material considering the specific CMU mechanical properties calculated aside, and then using the full rigidity in both directions, vertical and horizontal, or would you reduce the horizontal Young Modulus? Considering that you have no openings and the walls are fully pinned at the bottom.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report