Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create infinitely stiff beam elements and make sure they're all pinned?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
yiviw97057
444 Views, 5 Replies

How to create infinitely stiff beam elements and make sure they're all pinned?

I wanna do a simple strut and tie model; how can I make sure all the separate beam elements are infinitely stiff so they dont deform, and how can I make sure its pinned where I have the red circles so there is no moment transferred? There will be a force F/2 coming in at the bottom left and right, and I want the vertical beams on the left and right to also carry F/2. 

yiviw97057_1-1686491915207.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

HI @yiviw97057 

Use truss 2D module (only tension compression members are used) or fram 2D with pinned-pinned releases defined.

There are no members with infinite stiffness in Robot (except of rigid links which I would not recommend for this geometry) but you can use user-defined material with increased Young modulus. Refer to Rigid member definition procedure

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 3 of 6
Simau
in reply to: yiviw97057

@yiviw97057 

Set all members as truss

Rigid.png

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
yiviw97057
in reply to: yiviw97057

I've made the members into truss members @Simau, Ive also followed the Rigid member definition procedure @Krzysztof_Wasik. Why is it that when I apply the force of 2024 kN I dont get any force in the member Fx? Is it due to the instability issues? 

yiviw97057_0-1686517437128.png

Message 5 of 6

Hi @yiviw97057 

Forces applied to supports (in directions which are blocked in supports) are not transferred to the structure. 

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 6 of 6

The rectangle (with all the forces) is supposed to be a concrete deck, and the 3 pins at the bottom (left, middle and right) are supposed to be columns in tension. I want the full force from column to be taken into the deck. What do you think about this way of doing it? BC's at left and right is released in the z-direction, but its pinned in the middle so the truss structure doesn't get displacement. 

1.jpg

Also tried to model the columns and apply the load at the top away from the boundary condition, this also doesnt seem to work?2.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report