Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect two continuous beams (purlin - rafter connection)?

36 REPLIES 36
SOLVED
Message 1 of 37
Anonymous
4759 Views, 36 Replies

How to connect two continuous beams (purlin - rafter connection)?

Hello,

I was looking for a solution to make an articulated union between the pink beams  and yellow beams  in the intersection nodes. Note that I want the pink beams to be continuous and the same with the yellow beams, so finally I have 4 pink beams and 2 yellow beams. I´ve read about releases but I think it doesn´t work for this case as i want the beams to be continuous. Should I do it with compatible nodes?

image.PNG

@Anonymous Artur Kosakowski edited the topic for better findability

36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Opps, I did not realized that the model you had attached required modifications of the defined rigid links Smiley Sad

As all the beams have free ends to avid instability you wold need to either define artificial supports at their ends preventing rotations about their own axes or replace rigid links with short bar elements with their local axes aligned with the directions of the beams and provide releases at these short bar top ends that allow only for bending about axes perpendicular to the direction of the beams. 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 22 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hello Artur,

Ok, I´ve put a elastic supports  with a low coefficient for rotations in the free end of all the bars as you can se in the image. With this elastic supports and with Skyline solver I have no inestability.

Is it ok like this?One question about Skyline Solver, Are the results changing because I am using Skyline solver instead of the Automatic? Or is it only to treat the rigid links?

I mean, can I obtain different results in stress or structure verification if I use Skyline or Automatic solver?

Thank you

Captura.PNGCaptura1.PNG

Message 23 of 37
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous

I'd define the elastic supports like this so that they only block rotations about own axes of rafters and purlins.

elastic supports3.PNG

One question about Skyline Solver, Are the results changing because I am using Skyline solver instead of the Automatic? Or is it only to treat the rigid links?

All solvers should give the same results. The Skyline allows you to not to have artificial (significantly stiffer than bars used in the model) rigid elements to model rigid links. 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 24 of 37
Anonymous

Ok, so I understand that in order to block rotation only in their own axis, in case of RX support I should define the local system (alpha, beta and gamma angles) respect the global system. Is this ok?

Thank you!

Captura.PNG

Message 25 of 37
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous

IMHO as beans are parallel to the global coordinate system (when you look for the above) for these rotations this may not be required (should be any significant  influence on other rotations at these supports) but that would be a must for displacements.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 26 of 37
Anonymous

Ok Artur, thank you very much!

Message 27 of 37
Anonymous

Hi again Artur, I have one more question about the structure, would it be sway or non-sway? I don´t know how to know that. I want to verify buckling. I know there are other post about this topic but I don´t understand them really well.

Message 28 of 37
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous

IMHO it is a sway one.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 29 of 37
Anonymous

Ok, thank you. How can I know that for futures structures?

Message 30 of 37
Artur.Kosakowski

You may find the approach described by @RRufino in his post 1 from this topic helpful. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 31 of 37
Anonymous

Hi Artur, 

ok, thank you.

I was studying the model with rigid links and I have no instabilities, but i think the results don´t have sense. The nodes of a rigid link don´t have the same translations (note that in the rigid link i´ve blocked the translations). why? I don´t understand. I want them to have the same displacements as I am trying to model an articulated union.

Thank you again.

Message 32 of 37
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous

The nodes of a rigid link don´t have the same translations

Do you mean master and slave (bottom and top) nodes of the rigid link? If so it is correct as you don't impose the same displacements but you connect these two nodes with very rigid element so this can happen especially when a model rotates (column under the rigid links bends).

Artur Kosakowski
Message 33 of 37
Anonymous

Hi Artur and thank you. When I have no inestabilities the results have sense, I used the option of rigid links blocking translations and in the end of the bar I put an elastic support with a low coefficient in rotations but I had inestabilites too, and I had displacements of 440000 cm, which has no sense.  

Is it necessary to cut  a bar in the nodes a I want to put a rigid link?

In my model I have a long bar and I made nodes without cutting the bars, and in that nodes I put a rigid link in order to join two beams. The deflectios

but i´m not sure if that´s ok. Please see picture below, do the rigid links placed in the Green nodes work properly? I´ve also attached the deflection which seem to be right Thank you again!

Captura.PNGCaptura2.PNG

Message 34 of 37
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous

Is it necessary to cut  a bar in the nodes a I want to put a rigid link?

No, it isn't . This is only necessary for compatible nodes due to the way they are defined.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 35 of 37
Anonymous

ok, thank you!

Message 36 of 37
Anonymous

Hi!

I don't know if this has been answered before, I cannot find the discussion.

Is there a way to connect two beams in a way that one of them lays on top of the other?

From what I have read here I see I should model both bars in their real position and them join them with rigid links that block all displacements (UX, UY, UZ) but allow rotation, is that right?

And in that case, my actual question is; is there a way to block -Uz but allow +Uz? meaning that the beam on top would only transfer vertical loads applied downwards but would lift in case of the load being applied upwards. 

Thank you in advance for your response and please excuse me if the topic has been answered somewhere else.

Message 37 of 37
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous 

You can use the compatible nodes (as discussed in messages 2-8 of this topic) with nonlinear function describing the connection between them or define bars at the different levels and connect them with an additional short bar with unidirectional release instead.

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report