Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gravity loads deflection issue

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
577 Views, 8 Replies

Gravity loads deflection issue

Attached is a modular building 6 Storeys high . The frames consist essentially of channels with joists in between . The model has been analysed for plain DL & LL only. 

I dont seem to understand why deflections increase once i duplicate the stories from level 1 to level 6 ?

Its all a steel portal frame essentially in action.- 

The deflections at top are going up to 37 mm while same storey at lower levels is around 25 mm. 

Deflections.PNG

Labels (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Rafacascudo
in reply to: Anonymous

the graphic result shows the global resultant displacement. To have individual local bar deflection ,only through View/Tables

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Krzysztof_Wasik

Hi @Anonymous 

As far as I can see you present model displacement (there is no option for deflection presentation only). In my opinion displacement of top beams is bigger due to column vertical deformation (column shortening). Beams displacement (for corresponding beams) should increase on each (higher) level.

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Krzysztof_Wasik

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it! Is there a way in ROBOT to disable this? The reason being all these stories are modular prefabricated . 

I expect same deflections at each floor even after being stacked.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Rafacascudo

thanks for the reply! I am essentially looking to compare deflections at each storey .

Message 6 of 9
Krzysztof_Wasik

Hi @Anonymous 

Column shortening will not give such big differences in deflection (so I missed main effect- column shortening has very small influence on deflections). I can see only your structure screenshot but symmetrically supported middle levels (1) , have similar displacement (at least those marked in scr1). Not symmetrically supported levels first one and the last one (2) have different displacement than the middle segments.

scr1.PNG

Probably differences will be reduced when you will use pinned column connections between levels. See pinned connection influence on simplified model displacement.

scr2.PNG

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for explaining ! I think pinning the columns would actually help controlling these deflections as we go up the storeys.

Just to clarify all storeys are symmetrical with absolutely no change in layouts .

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Krzysztof_Wasik

Hi , I did pin all the columns but the deflections go crazy .

The method i used is:

1. Select columns of each storey except the base.

2.Assign pin releases through Geometry > releases option.

I am new to ROBOT interface . Am i missing something on this?

Message 9 of 9
Krzysztof_Wasik

Hi @Anonymous 

You probably defined too many releases. Try to define them at the bottom nodes of each segment columns only.

Krzysztof Wasik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report