Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting weird (BIG) strip foundation width beneath walls

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
egil.arne
173 Views, 1 Reply

Getting weird (BIG) strip foundation width beneath walls

Hi everyone.

I’m new to this forum, but I’ve used RSA for a few years now. I have a “problem” that I hope some of you on this forum can help me with.

I’m currently designing a building in RSA, and I’m trying to design foundations for this structure.

But I get unreasonable results.

I’ve checked the reactions forces in the nodes in the model, but when I transfer the “nodes” to foundation design, it seems to get a lot of uplift, so the check “fails” due to lack of contact surface.

Maybe I’m modelling this the wrong way, but I seem to struggle with this foundation module in RSA.

Picture of the model, with the higligted wall that I'm trying to design a footing for.

Model.png

Below a section cut of the wall.

Vegg akse A.png

I have checked the resultant reactions from the results, from the varius loads.

I have only made one loadcombination for now, (will make the required combinations when i understand this problem) due to RSA gets slow and laggy when I add combinations.

dead.png

In the model i have Dead loads ( selfweight, soilpressure), liveloads, snow- and wind loads.

Foundation design:

egilarne_1-1652435505110.png

Foundation results

egilarne_3-1652437828359.png

What am I doing wrong here?

Regards 

Egil

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
egil.arne
in reply to: egil.arne

Following up on this.

I changed the supports from pinned linear support to an elastic linear support. This changed the results in foundation design to be more realistic.

egilarne_0-1652446860839.png

egilarne_1-1652446917581.png

Foundation result:

egilarne_2-1652447020959.png

egilarne_3-1652447088771.png

Is this a right way to do this? Any suggestions on how I can verify these results in RSA?

And a question about applying soil pressure to the walls.

I have currently added soil pressure to the walls like this

egilarne_4-1652447427675.png

What is right to do? Transfer the nodes from wall without backfill (soil load), and model the backfill again in soil definition for the foundation module? Or do I need to transfer the soil loads from the wall and not add backfill in foundation design module?

egilarne_5-1652447829370.png

Regards 

Egil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report