Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deflection user section

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
1234eddie
1212 Views, 5 Replies

Deflection user section

Hi all,

I have a question regarding user sections. in particular to bending/deflection, can you correct the angle to get the correct deflection.

See this simple section:

front view.JPG

2 the same profiles, 100mm wide, 20mm high en thickness 3mm. left is under an angle of 35 degrees.

Deflection.JPG

both are loaded with a load of 1kN/m1. but the deflection of the section with an angle is way different than the normal rectangular one. 

my question now is, can i change an angle somewhere to get vertical deflection of profile under an angle?

(i need to check the vertical deflection).

all files including .dxf with profiles are attached.

thanks in advance

gr Edward

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Rafacascudo
in reply to: 1234eddie

Not graphically. Best you can do is create nodes along bar lenght(use divide tool without dividing the bar) and check the nodal displament table

deflections.jpg

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Muhammed.OPERA
in reply to: 1234eddie

As Mr. @Rafacascudo  said, not graphically.

You can get the deflection components in the global directions (ux,uy,uz) from Results menu > Deflections.

You can find the exact deflections for each bar in the global directions.

For example: Bar No.(2) for the 2nd load case.

The local deflection in the pic = 1.133 mm.

In the table you can find that: Uy= 1.132 & Uz= 0.051 mm.

The total local deflection = Sqrt [ (Ux^2) + (Uz^2) ] = 1.133 mm  exactly.

Deflections.png

Muhammed Mamdouh (OPERA)
Structural Engineer, Instructor
Facebook |LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
1234eddie
in reply to: Muhammed.OPERA

@Muhammed.OPERA @Rafacascudo 

thanks for your reply.

I did a second check on these profiles by copying them(bar 3,4). an gave them in the properties the gamma angle of 35 degrees.

it seem's that when i read the maximum deflecton i have to convert the displacement values with the angle i used. See difference node 11 versus bar 3.

so it would be easier to just add a node in the middle for the correct displacement. is this true?

Deflection V2.JPG

@Krzysztof_Wasik  do you know if this is on the wish list? to have an user defined section with the correct deflection?

thanks in advance

gr Edward.

Message 5 of 6

Hi @1234eddie 

Bar deflection table presents deflections in bar local system of coordinates.

If you want to present beam (rotated around local x) deflection in global system of coordinates you should define intermediate nodes along beam and open nodal displacement table. (as you have noticed in your post)

In theory when we have bidirectional bending we analyze superposition of bending in principal section axes/planes. This is deflection Robot presents in deflection table. UY (deflection for bending in xy local plane) UZ (deflection for bending in xz local plane) and U(total) as both bending effects superposition.

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 6 of 6
1234eddie
in reply to: Krzysztof_Wasik

@Krzysztof_Wasik 

thanks for your reply. it's clear for me know.

@Muhammed.OPERA and @Rafacascudo also thanks for your help.

gr Edward

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report