Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining stories for warehouse halls

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1125 Views, 14 Replies

Defining stories for warehouse halls

Hello everyone,

I made a model of a warehouse which contains concrete columns connected with a prestressed I beam at tops (see attachment). Analysis is made for Modal case and two seismic cases (equivalent lateral forces method). I defined a single story and base of structure. Once I defined a story at top of roof and once at top of columns (in this case i manually assigned elements of roof to the story1). What I expected of results was same mode frequencies and same base shear forces, but larger moment reactions for seismics under columns in first case (because of larger resultant distance). Base shear and frequencies was the same but moment reactions wasn't what i expected (see attachments).

Which is a proper way to define stories for single story structures like warehouses (reguarding seismics) and why?

PS. in both cases I had a warning that I shoud use DSC algorithm in case of dynamic and non-linear analysis of structure containing released directions. May I ignore this warning and with what consequences?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

The generated forces are applied to the nodes being in the plane of the story (top)level. Try to define two stories, the first from the bottoms of the columns to their tops and the second from this level to the top of the roof.

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Artur.Kosakowski,

should I worry about warnings: 1. The element is defined on a story different from the assigned one

2. the element is defined outside of stories

3. the element exceeds geometric limits of a story

4. The element is not assigned to any story ? (screenshots attached)

They appear wether I select whole model and set story assignment to automatically or I manually define each element.

Thank you for your time and advices in advance

Message 4 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous

Could you attach the model?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Here it is

Message 6 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous

You need to divide the columns at the level of the top of the 1st story and then create superbars if you want to design them in the RSA steel design module.

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Thank you @Artur.Kosakowski for fast replies.

And what would be consequences of ignoring DSC algorithm warning ?

Message 8 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous

Small chance of getting incorrect results.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Hi @Artur.Kosakowski.

How should I define buckling length coefficients in member type definition after dividing columns?

Originally, when columns were single member from base to top, i defined them like cantilevers like thisCapture.JPG

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

For example, if I divide columns in middle should every half-column have buckling length coefficient 4 instead of 2 ?

Message 11 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous

No, you should create a superbar with both parts and assign the same parameters as for not divided column.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Dear @Artur.Kosakowski,

I searched forum and help but I can not find the way how to create the Superbar of concrete members. Colud you give me some tips?

Message 13 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous

You cannot define superbars for RC Columns. Mind that Robot cannot design an RC column with load applied along their height. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

So, which values of buckling length coef. should I assign to divided parts of these columns? 

Message 15 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @Anonymous

You should not divide the columns when you want to design them in the RC Design module. This means that you should either use the response spectra analysis instead of the static seismic approach.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report