Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct panel calculation model to distribute lateral loads AND vertical loads correctly.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dareB7FAD
542 Views, 5 Replies

Correct panel calculation model to distribute lateral loads AND vertical loads correctly.

I am trying to model precast concrete planks supported non-compositely on steel beams at both ends.  The planks are on a ramp, thus although they are flat, they are not ‘horizontal’. I am unable to get a panel calculation model to give the correct distribution of load.

The correct distribution of vertical load onto the beams is given by using a cladding panel calculation model.

dareB7FAD_0-1626646620927.png

However, as the decking is not acting as a diaphragm, the lateral deflections are huge.

dareB7FAD_1-1626646667706.png

Under lateral load only, it is obvious that the floor deck is not acting as a diaphragm

dareB7FAD_2-1626646667718.png

When I specify the panel as Stiffened, I get the error message below:

dareB7FAD_3-1626646667731.png

I have tried the other panel calculation methods to resolve this anomaly.  The Shell calculation method for example appears to introduce the required in-plane stiffness to the slab

dareB7FAD_4-1626646667739.png

but the bending moment in the beam is incorrect.

dareB7FAD_5-1626646667752.png

Is there a panel calculation model which will give the correct vertical load distribution AND allow the in-plane stiffness of the floor to be correctly included?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Simau
in reply to: dareB7FAD

@dareB7FAD 

As claddings act only to transfer loads, try using dummy bars to simulate diaphragm effect

dummy bars.png

And for horizontal bracing set the bars as "ignore"

ignore.png

To avoid instabilities you need to use fixed supports, or to add vertical bracings

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
dareB7FAD
in reply to: Simau

Thanks @Simau for this.

Now, does it mean that the setting below is not implemented in Robot?  Or is there an error in the implementation?

dareB7FAD_0-1626695784640.png

Because this setting gives the error message in my first post.

Surely all it needs to do is what has just been suggested by @Simau then??

On the issue of dummy elements, any guidance as to their choice?  The lateral drift is sensitive to the stiffness of these elements. Less so, the column moments

On the ‘ignore’ setting,  I presume it means loads should not be distributed to these elements but the stiffness should still be considered in the analysis?

Many thanks
p.s there shouldn't be instability errors with the boundary conditions in the original post

Message 4 of 6
Simau

@dareB7FAD 

Now, does it mean that the setting below is not implemented in Robot? Or is there an error in the implementation?

This setting is only for panels, not for claddings

On the issue of dummy elements, any guidance as to their choice? The lateral drift is sensitive to the stiffness of these elements. Less so, the column moments

The choice of dummy elements is not so critical, their role is to transfer the horizontal forces to the columns

On the ‘ignore’ setting, I presume it means loads should not be distributed to these elements but the stiffness should still be considered in the analysis?

Correct

M. Agayr
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
dareB7FAD
in reply to: Simau

Thanks @Simau

The reason I did not accept this as solution is you saying ‘the choice of dummy elements is not so critical; their role is to transfer the horizontal forces to the columns’.

I might be missing something.

With CHS508x10, I get the lateral drift below:

dareB7FAD_0-1627378331135.png

With CHS 323.9x10, the drift is more than double

dareB7FAD_1-1627378331145.png

May be I am missing something? Your assistance is appreciated.

Message 6 of 6
Simau

@dareB7FAD 

You are right,

I forgot to specify to set these dummy bars as "truss".

You'll see that the the choice is not critical

dummy bars.png

M. Agayr

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report