Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

column and slab moment when using rigid links VS no rigid links

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
me1205377
2322 Views, 8 Replies

column and slab moment when using rigid links VS no rigid links

Greetings all,  please advise on the following observations 

below are to identical simple floors. one with rigid link defining the column contour and one without.

i made a cut at column edge for both floors at exactly the same location. once with smoothing and once without; the moment difference is almost 100% for the first internal column 

also regarding the columns moment, the difference is more than 100%  

so please advice on which modeling way is better in reflecting the real behavior?

col size is 400mm x800 mm, mesh is 150 mm

model is attached

model is attachedpanel cut rigid vs no rigid.PNGpanel cut rigid vs no rigid smoothing within panel.PNGcol moment rigid vs no rigid.PNG

moustafa elgaar
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
me1205377
in reply to: me1205377

moustafa elgaar
Message 3 of 9
mustafahesenow

Hi @me1205377

Could you attach the model please.

Mustafa Hesenow
Senior Structural Design Engineer/MZP
LinkedIn

Message 4 of 9
me1205377
in reply to: mustafahesenow

the model is attached within the original post 

thank you very much for your interest 

moustafa elgaar
Message 5 of 9
me1205377

moustafa elgaar
Message 6 of 9

Hi @me1205377

Looking at three models (the 3rd one being with a beam instead the panel):

1. For a model model with rigid links the values of reactions are the same as for the equivalent beam model but when you reduce slab stiffness (Ig) then rigid links will 'overwrite' this reduction above the columns.

2. The values for smooting within the panel and no smoothing are very close but the prior reduces the peek over the columns.

Knowing the above the decision is now in your hands  Smiley Happy

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 9
mustafahesenow

Mustafa Hesenow
Senior Structural Design Engineer/MZP
LinkedIn

Message 8 of 9

We were talking about new features for Robot and"Rigid zone for slab columns " came to the discussion

"This should be build in order to not have problems with diaphragm "

"As you know you cant have slave nodes for 2 master nodes"

Thinking about this issue of diaphragm "hidden" rigid links interfering with rigid links created to model Rigid zone for slab columns , I realized it can be done properly using what we have in Robot today .

I tried on the model of this thread and it seems that it works very well.

Instead of using Rigid links on the nodes inside the columm section area , I created a panel with the size of the columm cross section with the same concrete material but with huge E value( young modulus).
  This way it would not interfere with the rigid links due to diaphragm setting.

rigid zones - comparison.jpg

As you can see below , results are identical for the 2 models.

rigid zones - panel cuts.jpgrigid zones - vertical displacement.jpgrigid zones - moment and reactions on bars.jpg

Rigid links like those can be easily created using the  Roman "Spider/diaphragmer" .
But probably our great API master can also create the "Huge E panels" with not so many trouble.Smiley WinkSmiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

Comparison file attached

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
me1205377
in reply to: Rafacascudo

thank you very much Mr. Rafeal 

i am very happy that this thread had a positive impact 😄

moustafa elgaar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report