Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D frames too 3D frames with Panels, Rigid Links and Releases

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
555 Views, 8 Replies

2D frames too 3D frames with Panels, Rigid Links and Releases

Helo, im using RSA in my mater thesis and been stuck with this problem for a while and really need help...

Im having some truble creating a 3D frame build with a composite floor (panel and beams on the sides) and continuous columns on each corner. The composite deck should have a semi-rotation-stiff connection to the columns, and for a realistic model of the real frames I used rigid links to connect the column center to beam center. To simulate the connection between columns and beams a tried using Releases on the beams with a stiffness kN*m/rad in the frame direction. 

The reason fo the composit deck are due to higher stiffeness on the sides of the floors, simulated with beams in my case. 

The rigid link for column to composite floor are defined as: [0, 0, 0, Ry, 0 ,0], 0=check

The rigid link for column to beams are defined as: [0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ,0], 0=check

Even tho the panel and the beams interact in composite action along the span it seems not to be the case in the connection to the column. What im trying to achieve is a composite floor where all the moment goes through the semi-rigid connection. As I see it now the moment going in the panel are not affected by the release. I have tried linear releases  but none seems to give the same behavior as the 2D frames. 

Is there a good solution for this? And if I only wanted to use a panel without beams what could I do? 

Labels (4)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
MahmoudAlcholbec
in reply to: Anonymous

I suggest to draw beam from axis columns (center column to center column other)

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: MahmoudAlcholbec

I started doing that, and tried using the Offsets to get the rigth representation of the frame. But then I found out Offsets can not be used combined with beam-Releases. Then I used the Rigid Links and Releases instead and it worked fine for the frames, but it got more complicated when trying to recreate the 2D frames to 3D panels/shell combined with side beams. 

Even if I went from senter to senter, how could i create the elastic-stiffness inn the connection? 

Message 4 of 9
MahmoudAlcholbec

1.jpg2.png

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Okey thank you for the tip! I will check it out! 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hi again @MahmoudAlcholbec 

If I just delete the nearby panel FEs, then the stiffness contribution to the rigid link node will only be the release of the beam?

Could this be a solution? 

Message 7 of 9
MahmoudAlcholbec

I suggest redesigning, the project set up, modeling structure axes, modeling columns, and beams, etc.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Okey, I really dont see how that will help me. I will have the same problem with the shared beam/panel node that is connected to the column. All I want to do is release this common node with some stiffness. I also already have the model working with only columns and beams, but I really want to use panels with orthotopical stiffness to get a better model in 3D. 

Message 9 of 9
MahmoudAlcholbec

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report