Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tools for better object selection targeting?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
stereomp34
396 Views, 6 Replies

Tools for better object selection targeting?

Having worked with lot of 3D softwares I've noticed revit's selection targeting is very bad. I'll be spamming tab 10 times to get the object I need outlined, or while trying to select a screw I need to target specific few pixels large area on top right section of the screw, the second I move cursor elsewhere on the screw it doesn't light up and I need to use tab even tho the screw is in the foreground over all other elements and that goes for so many situations where revit's manual selection is just so off compared to other softwares where in similar situation the software intuitively selects the desired objects with little to no problems.

I was wondering if anyone has ever addressed this issue with an add-on that reworks the selecting or has any helpful information on this subject?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
L.Maas
in reply to: stereomp34

The way I approach it depends on what I am working on and the amount of objects (repetition) needing to be worked upon.
First step might be the discipline settings making certain categories see through.
Second might be things like view range settings, section or scope boxes and selection boxes.
Using visibility graphics overrides and filters (view templates) or worksets to hide obstructing objects.
If working on lots of objects a Dynamo script might be useful.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 7
stereomp34
in reply to: L.Maas

I can select the objects eventually if I hit tab, the visibility is fine, the issue is that the often objects I hover over do not highlight unless you find one pixel perfect spot on them to hover over or slam tab multiple times to find the object. This results in thousands of times per day hitting tab when any other 3D software would just light up the object right away. 

stereomp34_0-1709627075870.png

Like in this situation placing cursor on the object doesn't highlight unless you find the small spot on top right where it triggers. This happens to so many objects. Revit's pretty bad with hitboxes and all that button mashing just to select 5 objects at a time feels like is going to cause wrist problems if there's not a workaround for better hitbox detection long-term

Message 4 of 7
L.Maas
in reply to: stereomp34

Yes selecting is more complicated than in some other software.
That is why is was mentioning graphics overrides which might allow then window selection.
Same might be with Dynamo, automating certain steps might preventing continuous clicking also.

You might also write and idea in the Revit IDEA forum.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 7
stereomp34
in reply to: L.Maas

As far as automatization and overrides go I have implemented that in the work flow already. It's realy the bare basic selection process that has issues. Hopefully either autodesk or 3rd party addresses the clunky selection process some time soon.

Message 6 of 7

I believe the best approach would be : Filter first - Select-window after. Just like Quick Select in Autocad or like Filtered Selection in Tekla. It makes no sense to me to select dozens of entities , then filter them out. What we need most is a quick way to access the filters, something like a Filters drop-down list in the Status Bar, just like we access the Worksets.

Revit Structure Certified Professional
Revit Architecture Certified Professional
Autocad Certified Professional
Message 7 of 7

Yeah, revit has some great uses but why does bare basics have to be so... unpolished. The daily work is just so frustrating and tiring on hands due to the core functionality lacking user friendliness. 
I am considering buying giant macropad and writing like a billion macros to make revit less frustrating to work with. For an industry standard it's rather lacking in the basics compared to other software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report