Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shear Connection between two channels

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
advandes
3216 Views, 14 Replies

Shear Connection between two channels

Using Revit 2019

Does anyone know why I am getting errors trying to make a simple shear plate connection between two channels? See attached. These connections need to be coped and bolted with shear tabs. Pretty standard stuff.. Thanks for any help.

AAG
Advance Design
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mihai.sandu
in reply to: advandes

Hi,

When a steel connection is placed on a steel profile a fabrication shape is created, based on the steel profile from Revit. This fabrication shape can't be created in some cases. I believe that the fabrication shape is not created in your case because the medium and fine levels of detail, of the Revit native steel beam, are not "consistent".
Please see below information from Help Document.

"The shapes of connected elements for medium and fine detail levels must be consistent. Straight segments defined in medium detail level should overlap segments defined in fine detail level. If the shape for the medium detail level is not the same as for the fine detail level, the steel fabrication shape will not be created and you will be notified by a warning message."

Here is  a link from the Revit Help Documentation which contains the Supported Structural Steel Shapes:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-6244E741-5D14-4DAD-AE25-5069F71B69F3

Regards,

Mihai Sandu

Sr. QA Analyst

Message 3 of 15
advandes
in reply to: mihai.sandu

Thank you for your response. I am accepting your solution to the issue as a link to Autodesks documentation, but it appears there is no solution. Very disappointing...

AAG
Advance Design
Message 4 of 15
andres_urrutia

did you créate that shape? you must clssify the member as a C-Shape….. 

Message 5 of 15
advandes
in reply to: andres_urrutia

No, that is a standard channel from the framing library 

AAG
Advance Design
Message 6 of 15
Aaron485

Was you ever able to get two channels to connect with a shear tab?  I have tried several things and still haven't found a way.

Message 7 of 15
advandes
in reply to: Aaron485

No, I now use Advance Steel 2020 for projects that require detailed connections, and then import the file into Revit.

AAG
Advance Design
Message 8 of 15
andres_urrutia

how do you import the AS file into Revit? as a xmls file or as a dwg file?
Message 9 of 15
advandes
in reply to: andres_urrutia

I have done it both way, but I usually export .smlx format from Advance Steel. The process isn't always perfect, but it seems to get the job done when I have to do it this way. Advance Steel is a bear to learn, but once you do, it's much easier to model steel than with Revit. The screen capture I have attached is a simple structural frame I am working on that I imported into Revit.

AAG
Advance Design
Message 10 of 15
Aaron485

I did get my channel to beam connection to work in Revit 2019, I just had to change the beams to be the family from the AISC 14.1 folder, then they connected right up.

Message 11 of 15
meilechTPVL4

Still an issue in revit 2024.

Shear connection from "C-Channel Family" to a column. The Fine and Medium profiles don't overlap the way they should for revit to recognize the shape

meilechTPVL4_0-1692803054061.png

per https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-6244E741-5D14-4DAD-AE25-5069F71B69F3

This is frustrating considering its an out of the box autodesk family.
can confirm @Aaron485 solution works but the shape is slightly different. It can be a workaround, but if you are calculating poundage based on the Area X Mass (volumeXdensity) which I do, it will throw off the numbers slightly.

It just depends what you are trying to do.

Message 12 of 15
meilechTPVL4
in reply to: meilechTPVL4

To make my point

meilechTPVL4_0-1692804838841.png

the top beam is the AISC 14.1  shape

the bottom beam is the Deafult family.

Both are the exact same length

Message 13 of 15
jasonmccool8686

Well, I guess I can see why Revit doesn't know what to do with channel connections when the default out-of-the-box channel family comes in malformed like this... Good grief, Autodesk.

jasonmccool8686_0-1697736797090.png

Message 14 of 15

OK, apparently, it's not like that out of the box. Replacing the family when there was already a connection applied to the instance apparently caused the sloped surface of the flanges to flip like that. Deleting that whole channel and getting it back to an intact shape and then applying a cope to the members made the same thing happen again. Either way, really annoying. Does anyone know of a way to edit the family so it stops doing this, or is it a Steel Connections plugin error that corrupting the family?

jasonmccool8686_0-1697740577152.png

Message 15 of 15
BVillarreal1126

I believe the Error lives deep within the parameters of the Profile not following in line with each other's shape. 

Fine level - TF in conflictFine level - TF in conflictMed Level - TF in conflictMed Level - TF in conflict

If you compare that to the MC family those profiles are correct.....

Screenshot 2023-11-21 111213.pngScreenshot 2023-11-21 111147.png

Someone at the Main office (AutoDesk/IMF/Mystery tech guy) must of overlooked this

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators