Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to convert an architectural roof into a structural element?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
GKELLEYXTPUW
2058 Views, 5 Replies

Is there any way to convert an architectural roof into a structural element?

Hi all,

So I work in structural and we have this large single story 10,000 sf assisted living complex. The architect has the roofs set to a handful of different slopes and a lot of different gabled bump outs. Typically with my company, we model our roofs as a floor with either 5/8th inch plywood profile or a steel or composite roof deck profile (we dont model a lot of gabled roofs because we mostly work with flat wood or steel roofs and our work detail is level 300). With this job it would take a good few days to follow this procedure and manually set the roof point elevations like you would a floor/slab. So to save a ton of time, i brought in the architectural roof from the arch model and aligned it properly and changed the profile to what we need. However, its an architectural element, not a structural one. Is there any way to set an architectural roof to a structural element like a floor? we don't use revit's analytical features so it's not the biggest deal, but i want to know if there's an easy way to do this so i can have the proper graphics override set and not spend unnecessary time changing it manually. We are using revit 2019 for this job.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks,

-George

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jason.P
in reply to: GKELLEYXTPUW

I would love to hear a way to do this as well. As far as I know, the answer is NO you can not turn an Arch into a Structural floor. 

We do lots off multi slope roofs on schools and health care facilities, so we have a good work flow down and figured out how to our steel deck, but it there was a way to convert that arch roof to a structural floor, I would be very happy. 

Jason Peters
BIM Manager
Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni
Message 3 of 6
hmunsell
in reply to: GKELLEYXTPUW

First question.... why are you using floors for the roof? floors and roofs have similar functionality for creating structured layers. why not turn on the Arch ribbon and create a roof with the structure you want? 

if you had roof types set up, you could copy the arch roof from there file to your file. normally id say Copy/Monitor, but you cant copy monitor roofs (Autodesk....?). open both in the same session, copy to clipboard the arch roof and past into your structural model. then you can change the roof type to whatever you want. in the attached example i pre-made a 2" metal deck roof that only consisted of a metal plate. I know this is probably simplified from what your dealing with, but it may help.

https://autode.sk/33stFbl

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Jason.P
in reply to: hmunsell

we do are roof deck in structural floor because on some projects we need the analytical model. As well we need different types of roof deck at times in different parts of the building. Some times we need acoustic, sometimes we don't

Jason Peters
BIM Manager
Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni
Message 5 of 6
hmunsell
in reply to: Jason.P

interesting, you cant do that with a Roof? id be interested in learning more and seeing examples. 

Howard Munsell
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6

Unfortunately you can't. 

Mostafa Elashmawy

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report