Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing STP file and make it parametric in Revit (STP to RFA)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
hossein.parsinejad
5794 Views, 7 Replies

Importing STP file and make it parametric in Revit (STP to RFA)

Hi BIMologists,

We are working on importing STP file into my Revit model and making them parametric into Revit environment. Have any of you gone through the same process before? How can I make them parametric? I am also using Inventor for editing the components and bringing them as RFA (family) components. 

Your thoughts and tricks would help me,

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
RDAOU
in reply to: hossein.parsinejad

@hossein.parsinejad 

Define what exactly you want to make parametric...Attach .rfa  file 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 8
hossein.parsinejad
in reply to: RDAOU

Please find attached RFA file. The parameters would be dimensions (e.g. A and B* attached) and the other native capabilities of our RFA native families. I'd like to go through same established workflow during my design process:

Received STP > RFA (into my Revit model) > Do the spreadsheets (e.g. quantities related to volume of concrete, etc)

Message 4 of 8

When you explode it then the grips will be exposed to attach dimension or lock to refplanes. You are lucky in this case because it explodes, not all do depending on surfaces used in AutoCAD.

Overall this would be a complicated approach as to stretch the model either side of the red line would entail setting fixed relationships to all grips to one side of it.

Would seem easier just to create it in Revit and end up with something that doesn't bulk up the project and at the same behaves the way it was intended to (was thought about how to stretch it from point of conception).

Each grip movement below is limited between other grips to maintain the same overall arrangement. Otherwise you get a modelling error and have to reset it.

211206b.PNG

Message 5 of 8
RDAOU

@hossein.parsinejad 

To make the geometry parametrically adjustable is a bit far fetched...however, what you can do is "Add reporting parameters" as  follows (GIF also below for the same steps described hereunder)

1. Open the rfa
  2. Explode the imported Element
  3. Place Dimensions (Length and Width and Thickness...etc)
  4. Associate these parameters with Instance/Reporting Shared Parameters
    • This will allow you to schedule the dimensions as is (as imported from step)
  5. Select the exploded geometry and associate its material to a type or Instance parameter (and set to Concrete or whatever)
    • This will allow you to quantify volume of the concrete

Load into the model and create a material take-off schedule

• Add the shared parameters for dimensions
  • Add Material: Name and Material: Volume

RDAOU_0-1638816059631.png

Fix Step.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 8

Thanks for your reply; however, this approach is going to make further issues in modeling as I tried. After explosion, there are additional works that can be applied in order to make it parametric.

Message 7 of 8
hossein.parsinejad
in reply to: RDAOU

Thank you @RDAOU. It was what I was looking for and the steps are clear. After exploding the family, when I want to 'make new group' in 'shared parameters'. Where is the shared parameters' default text file located? I created a text file and starting from there.

Message 8 of 8
RDAOU

@hossein.parsinejad 

There are several OOTB in Revit which are related to plugins; however, if you do not have a personalized file, simply create a new one >>> save it to a location of your choice and start from there...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators