Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a STEP (.stp) file into Revit

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
112858 Views, 8 Replies

Getting a STEP (.stp) file into Revit

What is the easiest way to attach a vendor STEP file to our model?  It would be nice to be able to just link the file if possible since we will be getting revised models from the vendor as their design progresses.  We are currently using Revit 2018.1.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

Import STP file in AutoCAD and save as DWG.  Link the DWG in Revit.  When you get the updated STP, just re-import to the same DWG and the link in Revit will be updated.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Hi,

I find it easier and better to use Inventor program. From Inventor you can than export it as rfa or IFC file. To put step file in In

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi All,

Unfortunately, it's not so simple as explained here. 😉

Revit in most cases will give you an error:

''Revit cannot import some of the geometry, The result can be caused by various issues with the source file.

Adjust the geometry in the file and try the import process again.''

And you will never know which geometry to adjust in AutoCAD.

There is currently No Solution for this. ;(

Kind Regards

Leo

Message 5 of 9
jrdoyleR2A82

If you are getting an error about not being able to import geometry, a workaround is to create a new family and import the .dwg into that. it will still give you the error message but it will import the .dwg nonetheless. Just save that family and then import it into your project then voila.

Message 6 of 9
TimothyBesser

This is disgusting that Revit makes the user add a workaround by going though another product in order to integrate a STEP into Revit. STEP files is an industry standard.

Message 7 of 9
renata.juric

I you have are getting an erro about not being able to import geometry, just dwg convert in .sat file (direct from AutoCAD) and then import in Revit. That shoud remove that issue.

Message 8 of 9
Jacob.Riley
in reply to: renata.juric

I did this and it lost alot of it's info. Is there some steps that need to be taken prior to be able to get this file to keep all lines and shapes.

Message 9 of 9
JaredFBJPDR
in reply to: jrdoyleR2A82

@jrdoyleR2A82 

This way actually worked for me. Not sure why Revit still brings up that warning even though it brings in the file anyway. Autodesk should definitely think about enabling you to import .stp files directly into Revit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators