Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I remove panels from the ribbon in Revit MEP? Workspaces?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
MuirEng
1397 Views, 9 Replies

Why can't I remove panels from the ribbon in Revit MEP? Workspaces?

Hi, I am an AutoCAD MEP user working in the electrical discipline, and have just purchased Revit MEP.

One thing that strikes me immediately is that the ribbon is very busy and full of tools I have no interest in. For example, under systems there are panels dealing with HVAC and plumbing and such.

In AutoCAD MEP there was a workspace setting and by choosing "electrical" the ribbon optimized itself for electrical work. I thought this was a pretty nice feature and expected to find it in Revit MEP as well... but alas, so far no luck!

I tried to clean up the ribbon manually but have discovered that it can only be customized if I am running Revit. All those controls are missing from the Options - User Interface dialog in R-MEP...

Am I stuck with those unwanted GUI elements?

thanks

Brian Muir, P.Eng, Muir Engineering
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Purus_Cdds
in reply to: MuirEng

Message 3 of 10
MuirEng
in reply to: Purus_Cdds

Thanks, but I looked at that initally. There is nothing in there about removing panels.

(Dragging a panel off the ribbon doesn't remove it. I happily sits wherever it was dragged to...)

Message 4 of 10
Purus_Cdds

I don't see such option too. Maybe we need to wait for some expert to answer this.
Message 5 of 10
bvm76

go to options/user interface/cofigure. Un-tick the box for those tabs you don't want to see on your GUI
Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered!
Thank You.
Message 6 of 10
MuirEng
in reply to: bvm76

a little credit to my intellegence please?

see OP

see snip below

Capture.JPG

Message 7 of 10
dbutts7

AutoCAD MEP is a little different beast - here's a faster way to fix this.

From the command line, type in CUI and press enter.

the ribbon interface is controlled by workspaces, so look on the customization tab.

under Workspaces, the current one will be displayed with (Current) on the name. Pick the workspace - on the right panel, you'll see a tab that says Customize workspace.

Under this panel, expand the ribbon tabs section. This will show the ribbon tabs and panels. For example if you have one named HOME - HVAC expand  it to see the individual panels.

Pick a panel, and look under the Properties section below. Under appearance, you can change Show from Yes to No. This turns the panel off but leaves the tab on.

There's a lot more you can do to customize the interface using the CUI tool. For example, we use Revit and AutoCAD MEP - since it's easier to customize AutoCAD MEP for me, I used the CUI tools to make a ribbon interface that emulated the Revit interface, so my users would find tools in similar locations.

Try this out first, and let me know if it works for you. Keep in mind that you must save your changes to the CUi by using the Apply or OK tools at the bottom of the dialog for the change to take place.

thanks - David B.

David A. Butts

Virtual Design and Construction Manager - Kimley-Horn

Revit Certified Professional/Autodesk Certified Instructor

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

The MEP BIM/CAD Engineer Blog

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
dbutts7
in reply to: dbutts7

OK, I'm an idiot - next time I'll include your question in the post. For Revit, start where the previous note ended. Under options, look at the interface tool. there should be several tabs for Tools and Analyses - if you don't see these, you may be in an older release of Revit. The program didn't combine all of the versions into one interface until 2013. But if you're in a newer release, you can turn off mechanical, electrical, and piping tools, as well as structural, architectural and massing.

tabs-Revit.jpg

You can only manipulate overall tabs with this tool, and not the individual panels. To customize the panels themselves, you'd have to use either .NET or the new Dynamo interface. While AutoCAD MEP is a little easier to edit than Revit with the CUI tool, it's not quite as easy with Revit.

thanks - David B.

@dbutts7 wrote:

AutoCAD MEP is a little different beast - here's a faster way to fix this.

From the command line, type in CUI and press enter.

the ribbon interface is controlled by workspaces, so look on the customization tab.

under Workspaces, the current one will be displayed with (Current) on the name. Pick the workspace - on the right panel, you'll see a tab that says Customize workspace.

Under this panel, expand the ribbon tabs section. This will show the ribbon tabs and panels. For example if you have one named HOME - HVAC expand  it to see the individual panels.

Pick a panel, and look under the Properties section below. Under appearance, you can change Show from Yes to No. This turns the panel off but leaves the tab on.

There's a lot more you can do to customize the interface using the CUI tool. For example, we use Revit and AutoCAD MEP - since it's easier to customize AutoCAD MEP for me, I used the CUI tools to make a ribbon interface that emulated the Revit interface, so my users would find tools in similar locations.

Try this out first, and let me know if it works for you. Keep in mind that you must save your changes to the CUi by using the Apply or OK tools at the bottom of the dialog for the change to take place.

thanks - David B.

David A. Butts

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
dbutts7

What release of Revit are you using? And it is just Revit MEP only? Is it part of a suite?

thanks - db

David A. Butts

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
MuirEng

Revit MEP 2015. Downloaded using the download manager a couple of days ago.

I have a building suite premium license.

I beleive the answer is that Revit UI can be customized in the way I desire, but Revit MEP cannot.

Which sucks, but that seems to be the way it is.

Thanks for your time to reply.

(I would really like to know the logic behind this restriction with MEP._

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report