Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The way curves/elbows are displayed on floor plans

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
projetos7RKLZ
408 Views, 3 Replies

The way curves/elbows are displayed on floor plans

Hi! As probably most of users, our office is moving from AutoCAD to Revit. Naturally, there are a few things that we are not very familiar with yet. One thing that I really think that is poorly displayed on Revit is how the rise on ducts (and it's curves) are shown on floor plans. When drawing in autocad we would use dynamic blocks with lines that resembled a notion of the curvature of a elbow. On Revit and with wireframe, just lines are shown and it can get quite confusing. Follow attached examples of what I mean. Does anybody know a way to better represent those curvatures to people reading our project?

Labels (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
fabiosato
in reply to: projetos7RKLZ

Hello,

To get those lines in the curve, you can edit the extrusion, probably a sweep to segmentation, so that you can have those lines.

My experience moving to Revit is accepting what I got from it.

Modeling is already challenging, and moving from 2D to 3D may initially be difficult for some people. Still, the advantages are far more interesting, like the ease of understanding what's going up in tight spaces.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
robert2JCCH

I use a collection of explanatory symbol families to clarify things like curved rises/slopes, and isometric snapshots for anything more complex than that.

You can also do something as straightforward as tag the elbow family - simply declare to the document reader that it's a 1.5D radius elbow, or whatever the aspect ratio happens to be. Tagging fittings was a workflow that I didn't really have in my AutoCAD life (surely the symbol is self-explanatory!) but it's done wonders in Revit for clarifying intent to the contractor. They can't really ignore that a fitting is supposed to be mitered with turning vanes if the drawings specifically state that, after all.

Message 4 of 4
CADTripper

Hi @projetos7RKLZ,

You can show those lines by modifying the tee or elbow fitting family. You can create new thin lines of any colors in the fitting family and lock it to its fitting edges so the lines stays within the fitting width. It's a bit challenging though assigning distance between those lines in the fitting so you have to be very careful in placing dimension in between those fitting lines. Attached is an example of fitting where I've added the lines in the fitting family and loaded into the project.

You can get rid of the riser/dropper symbol from the duct systems type properties by assigning it into "none". This way you can only see the lines just added in the fitting family, without the symbol. See attached second image.

Ryan Ortega
MEP BIM Lead
Aurecon Group - Dubai, UAE
www.ryanortega-bimportfolio.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report