Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spaces will not "expand" to rooms/boundaries

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
casquatch
17121 Views, 31 Replies

Spaces will not "expand" to rooms/boundaries

Hello,

I've run into this issue on two of our projects so far, and it has been fairly recent. I'm not sure what could be causing it, but just figured I'd check in and see if anyone else has seen it before.

When trying to place a space, the boundaries are not expanding to the bounding objects.

Yes I have checked:

-Links set to overlay & room bounding

-Spaces are visible

-All worksets visible

-Rooms within Arch link are present and can be Tab-Selected

-Level is at appropriate elevation (and Computation Height has even been adjusted)

I have also drawn a boundary box in an open area with "Space Seperator" lines and attemped to place a space within the boundary. Nothing. I tried using the "Place Spaced Automatically" tool. Nothing.

All I am able to do it place a space and Revit will give me the default rectangle that won't expand to any kind of boundary element.

Any thoughts? I'm sure there are other things I have tried and forgot to list, but is there anything I am missing?

Thanks,

Casey

I forgot to mention that these couple of projects are in 2014 Revit.

Tags (2)
31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
umit.balaban
in reply to: mark.silcock

Hi @mark.silcock ,

Did you find a solution? Same is happens to me.

BR,

UmitB

Message 22 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thankyou so much for this comment! I had the same problem with no idea it was just my floor's bounding. 

Message 23 of 32
scott_dakin
in reply to: Anonymous

I see this all the time on virtually all projects. The Architectural elements don't enclose the area properly in the MEP model so you need to add Space Separation Lines to 'heal' the area and enclose it properly for the space to form. Normal walls and windows are fine but glazed walls are essentially broken as all hell.

You don;t need to draw a separate line for every room, just drag a line on the inner face of the external wall along the whole side of the building to fix all the outer rooms. if the building is a rectangle draw a rectangle of Space Separation lines then copy and paste to all levels, fixed in 2 minutes (for a simple building).

It can also be caused by the Levels calculation height being set so low that it is in the floor buildup, many strange things can happen.

Remember that the space is cut by the cut-plane so if there is something that will affect the cut-plane it will affect the way the space is displayed, even if there is nothing actually wrong with the space itself.

Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: casquatch

Message 25 of 32
Kermit84

Hi everyone.
I had the same problem with spaces. After auto-creation, not all spaces appeared, but in the linked ARK file everything worked as it should.
Manually adding spaces caused a message that there is already space in this area ???
I checked the view ranges, especially the height of the cut lines. At a cutline value of 1mm, the missing spaces appeared but without the names and labels. I re-inserted the names from ARK and added a label. But after returning to the normal height of the cut line, these spaces were still not visible, they were also missing in the schedules ... W.T.F. ?????
I guess there is something wrong with counting areas and rooms related to spaces ???

I checked what would happen when I changed the settings in Room & Area > Area and Volume Computations, I set the option there to Areas only (faster), the revit began to sweat and all the missing spaces appeared after a while. I checked on other floors where space was lacking in the rooms. I added the missing spaces (plus the name and the label) and there were no problems all the missing ones also appeared in schedules.

Return to calculating the volume using the Areas and Volumes option, all the spaces that managed to recover are hidden again in the views and schedules ??? Maybe the architect has a mess in the model, who knows?

Maybe someone will use this option and check if it works.
Sorry for the language, I don't use English on a daily basis.
Regards and take care 🙂

Tags (2)
Message 26 of 32
iainsavage
in reply to: Kermit84

Might not have anything to do with your problem but I had an issue with a model in which the architect had created levels for everything including top of carpet!!!,  top of skirting etc and these had been copy/monitored into the MEP model. Played havoc with view ranges and space creation.

Message 27 of 32

Hi, 

I'm currently working on same problem...

My project is divided into an "active model" with a link revit file : the arch model.

I try to generate spaces in the active model from all the rooms boundaries (link model)

It works perfectly when the room is fully enclosed by walls, but if the architect chose to set two neighbor rooms  BUT without a wall between them, then, Revit doesn't dectect the boundary and set a only space for these two rooms.
The video above describes very well the situation...

Cheers

Message 28 of 32
RobDraw

Have you tried adding a space separator? The architect most likely used a room separator. Put the space separator at the same location.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 29 of 32
casquatch

@RobDraw, Space and Room separator's should behave the same even when linked in, so a space should acknowledge a room or space separator, active or linked. This is not ideal or desired, but it's the way things are currently setup. This doesn't help with @mathieu.josserand current issue. Just thought I'd throw that tidbit into the mix 🙂

@mathieu.josserand, are you positive that the architect has placed a Room separator in those areas? Or are they doing something else? When you selec their link in your model, do you see the two specific rooms showing?

Message 30 of 32
RobDraw

I haven't used spaces since being able to tag rooms through a link. Before that, we had to draw our own space separators because room separators in a link didn't work. That is to say unless we were doing something wrong back then, it must be a newer feature.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 31 of 32

Positive ! There're two distinct rooms in the Arch Model. 

Today I try to set up spaces with Space Separators... we'll see 🙂

Message 32 of 32

there's no satisfactory solution :

Space Separation can be created only in floor plans and they are level specific following the api documentation

https://www.revitapidocs.com/2020/e95433bf-3440-50e3-c9d0-c5559fbb0aff.htm

That is a big problem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Autodesk Design & Make Report