Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart copy-pasting group/assembly to multiple families

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
AutoCAT95
965 Views, 9 Replies

Smart copy-pasting group/assembly to multiple families

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to quickly add a lot of prepared elements to many identical families in the project, for example:

In the project I have got 1000 inserted chilled beams - different sizes and flows, so different Family Types, but still same family. What i need is to add the same flex branch to every of thees chilled beams 1000 times. 

AutoCAT95_0-1610114617906.png

Is there a way tocopy and paste that created element to selected families in project, to be always in the same position according to that family no matter how it's rotated or what size it is? Only condition I have is the family connector is connected to that branch.

The same option would be usefull in many different examples.

note: I don't want to add this branch into family. I am looking for solution which works with families added in linked models like toilets, plumbing fixtures etc.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
RobDraw
in reply to: AutoCAT95

Copy/Monitor can do this. The elements in the link can be mapped to your families with the connectors. Effectively a copy/paste in place but allowing you to replace the elements from the link with ones of your choosing. The monitor portion will let you know when those elements have been changed in the link and gives you options as to how to address the changes. Not all categories can be copy/monitored though.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 10
AutoCAT95
in reply to: RobDraw

I'm not sure if I understand. Can you show me example how can I use copy monitor to copy one element from my project and paste it to many families in different places and different orientation?

To be clear, I am looking for solution to create planty of same looking connectors as quick and simple as it possible.

I've got 1 branch joined to 1 chilled beams and I need to copy -> move -> rotate etc. 1000x to every single beam in my project by hand?

AutoCAT95_1-1610119028075.png

Message 4 of 10
RobDraw

@AutoCAT95 wrote:

note: I don't want to add this branch into family. I am looking for solution which works with families added in linked models like toilets, plumbing fixtures etc.

Then, this statement is confusing me. Are the chilled beams in a linked model or not?

Rob

Message 5 of 10
AutoCAT95

In this particular case, they are not in linked model. I mentioned this because I am looking for a universal solution, also for cases with loaded models.

I am not sure if I have described what I want to do clearly enough. Tell me if you need a more detailed explanation.

Message 6 of 10
RobDraw

@AutoCAT95 wrote:

In this particular case, they are not in linked model.

Then editing the family is THE way to do it. I don't know why you don't want to do it that way.

@AutoCAT95 wrote:

I mentioned this because I am looking for a universal solution, also for cases with loaded models.

The solution I posted above is the way to go for linked models.

Rob

Message 7 of 10
AutoCAT95

Your proposal is to nest the object B into family A so that always family C has its own branch.

• In that case object "B" is uneditable unless I edit whole family. So to make it shorter/longer or higher/lower I need to make different family types or define inside family parameters, but I'll never have access to move it smoothly by hand?
  • In that case can I include parts B object to my project schedules? (Duct fittings, ducts, pipe fittings etc.)

AutoCAT95_1-1610374535679.png

Message 8 of 10
RobDraw

Once again, you are losing me. 

Let me simplify it for you. The family should include everything that comes prefab out of the box. Anything that is connected to it should be separate. "Model it the way it will be built."

If the elements in question are not in the family, there is no way to do automate what you are doing. Each and every instance will need to be connected to the family, therefore you need to touch every one after placement. Copy/paste to every location isn't going to save much time, if it can be done. You still need to go and connect all of the pipes to the equipment.

If you have planned ahead, you could have copied the beam and the connected elements while you placed all the beams.

Good luck!

Rob

Message 9 of 10
AutoCAT95

@RobDraw wrote:

...If you have planned ahead, you could have copied the beam and the connected elements while you placed all the beams...

This is completely true, but in real life it is very rare to plan everything ahead 🙂

Maybe someday someone will write a script that will work like a smart array doing doing exactly what I was looking for...

Message 10 of 10
RobDraw

@AutoCAT95 wrote:
This is completely true, but in real life it is very rare to plan everything ahead 

We aren't talking about everything. We are talking about something that is very foreseeable.

@AutoCAT95 wrote:
Maybe someday someone will write a script that will work like a smart array doing doing exactly what I was looking for...

Maybe someday people will be able to include all relevant information in their questions, too. You NEVER said anything about an array. It wouldn't have helped in this case but, man, you keep adding more information. Like I said, even if you could get the assembly to be automatically placed, you would still need to make the final connections.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Autodesk Design & Make Report