Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Eggcrate Grille

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
stevenson953
2946 Views, 44 Replies

Simple Eggcrate Grille

Hi Guys,

Why am I finding this so difficult!  Don't answer that 🙂

I have been trying to find a simple Eggcrate Grille that I can use at the end of ducts both horizontal and vertical.

I have downloaded many but all seem to be constrained to a wall or a ceiling or when I do get into position the face is solid rather than eggcrate.  So annoying.  

I'm probably just having a "blond moment" but some help please.

Thanks

Paul 

44 REPLIES 44
Message 41 of 45
scott_dakin
in reply to: stevenson953

Paul, Rob is an **** and he treats everyone like this until you stomp him flat in an argument by knowing more about Revit than he does, then he sulks for a while and leaves you alone. I'm sorry you have had a bit of a bad experience so far.

If i were you i would take a family that looks similar to what you want and functions identically to the way you want the egg-crate family to work then edit it so that it looks how you want it to. If you want a single size it will be quite simple but if you want multiple sizes it will be a bit more complicated.

The easiest way for the size of the egg-crate grill to be variable is to create several different sizes of grilles in separate families then load them all into the main family and use a parameter to switch them. The size of the plenum etc will already work as you copied a family that is already functional.

Creating Nested families looks really complicated but it can be broken down into small steps just like any problem, the end results are great.

I'm sure we can help you if you would like to give it a try. You would need to provide some manufacturer specific information for the equipment you want to create like a drawing with dimensions for example.

Message 42 of 45
RobDraw
in reply to: scott_dakin

@scott_dakin wrote:

Paul, Rob is an **** and he treats everyone like this

I admit it is a knee jerk reaction to people not liking what I say and responding with telling  me to not post and/or personal insults or attacks. You will never see me resort to those immature tactics. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 43 of 45
stevenson953
in reply to: scott_dakin

Hi Scott,

I'm sure he is only trying to help although I would have responded better if he had a "different style".

So, I used the attached model and it positioned directly onto the end of the duct OK and then I just had to resize it to match the duct.

You can see the "Void Extrusion" in the second clip and the maximum size of the grille was limited by this.  I hid this outline and I think I can increase the size of the extrusion in Edit Type so that I can get bigger grilles if needed.

I think what I have found is a "work around" to my problem and not a grille that attaches and matches automatically to the duct size which my other grilles do.

Thanks for your offer to help out.

Cheers

Paul 

Message 44 of 45
stevenson953
in reply to: RobDraw

Hi Rob,

No hard feelings from me.  Everyone has a different style and the important thing is that there are people out there like you trying to help others who have a problem.  Clearly you have some good skills to share and are willing to help in your own way.

Your style certainly rubbed me up the wrong way but I'm turning into a "grumpy old man" which didn't help either :).

Moving right along ……

Paul 

Message 45 of 45
ccastelein
in reply to: stevenson953

Hey @stevenson953 , i too was looking for a simple eggcrate family...didnt want to re-create the wheel, but i, like you found very complicated eggcrate families, hosted by ceilings, or walls, etc.. with flanges or other things around it.

so i made my own, and i will attach it here...

i know this thread is years old, but maybe someone else, will trip on this looking for the same thing....

maybe your still looking for a better solution, who knows.

try it out, and let me know..

btw it also can be used as a grate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report