Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Piping Accessories not hosting to pipe

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mroble
2371 Views, 7 Replies

Revit Piping Accessories not hosting to pipe

Revit 2019...

So one of the first things I created was a flow meter with instance parameters that allowed the flow meter to adjust to whatever pipe it connects to.

But now, all of a sudden, I try to place a pipe accessory, it wants to host to a level. And the family was never "work plane based" and still isn't.

If I click on System --> Plumbing and Piping ---> and "Pipe Accessory", you'll notice in the green placement ribbon, there's a pull down that looks at "Floor Level", and the options are the various levels of my project. It's ignoring the pipe.

Messed Up.PNG

This worked for 2018, and I even tried default "out of the box" pipe accessory stuff... Valves, etc... they all do this.

And that's a 3" line I was trying to connect it too, so it's not like I was trying to drop it into a pipe that was an unavailable size.

This example is an out of the box double check valve.

Anyone run into this?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
J.Wehmer
in reply to: mroble

Inside the family on the properties toolbar

Valve break infto.jpg

-Please click accept as solution if this answers your question!
Message 3 of 8
mroble
in reply to: J.Wehmer

I was looking at that and didn't know if that was any different than the just "Breaks Into" option.

Breaksinto.PNG

What I seem to notice, is that in my project, all my buildings are places at whatever rotation they need to be on a site plan. And I'm using a Scope Box rotated to match that angle, so I can associate my views to that Scope Box and work orthographically. I try to bring in the part and it seems to want to read the skewed angle through the scope box. Thus not lining up my component with my pipe properly (like 3.5% rotation) and not treating the pipe like it's something it should not be connecting to.

I started a new project, drew a pipe south to north, dropped the same flow meter onto it and it worked like a charm.

Message 4 of 8
mroble

@J.Wehmer 

This seems to be the issue.

Went into the same project, dropped it in again, but this time, I zoomed into my pipe and it placed perfectly fine.

It "seems" like being zoomed out, it was reading an angle off some component and lining up and holding onto it.

On one hand, I love how Revit wants to line up with things, on situations like this, not so much.

Message 5 of 8
JDHarris4Z7UZ

I  have something similar going on that I cant figure out  -  My pipe accessories that normally work fine and this project is not set up any different than any others suddenly will not align with the pipe.  Its "Square"  to the view until it is over the pipe where it sizes to match but skews to the pipe and will not break into the pipe like it normally would as a result.   Tried changing the Site rotation (to a duplicate with out the rotation) with out the angle to north and it does the same thing.  - REVIT 2020 (Stuck in old releases due to the partner engineers no upgrading for some unknow insanity)

Message 6 of 8
iainsavage
in reply to: JDHarris4Z7UZ

Is this a family that you’ve used successfully before? If not then check the alignments in the family to make sure everything including the connectors is aligned and locked correctly.

Message 7 of 8
JDHarris4Z7UZ

I got it fixed - Messed with it a bit yesterday  and then again this morning.  It had to do with the rotation to True north ( not sure why that would matter since it should pick up the orientation from the pipe not the project)  I'm more of an electrical guy so it takes me a little longer to trouble shoot mechanical fittings but they behave for the most part similar.  

Message 8 of 8
J.Wehmer

Thank @mroble! Glad it helped 🙂

be sure to mark the post that solved the question as the ’Solution’, so others and Google can find it easily in the future 

-Please click accept as solution if this answers your question!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report