Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit local model different size than central model

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
DJSCRIPTS
1356 Views, 5 Replies

Revit local model different size than central model

Hello, I recently have been having some problems with Revit crashing and then needing to save a recovery file. There are two weird things that have been happening with this:

1. The revit model frequently doesnt actually close after I save a recovery file even though it said it was going to. 

2. The newly created revit recovery file is approx. 1/2 the file size as the central. 

Now I dont know how that is even possible. But even when i open up the recovery file (local) the next day, and auditing it. It still seems to have no problem syncing or anything like that. But it is still just 1/2 the size of the central. Does anybody know what is going on here. Please see images attached. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dzanta
in reply to: DJSCRIPTS

It is possible your Central Model has a corruption which is causing the local model to be corrupt as well.  Try the following:

1.  Save all your local model work back to the central model

2.  Ensure no one has a local model open

3.  Open the Central Model but choose Audit within the Open dialog box first...this will Audit/fix the central model

4.  Purge the Central model and then save the model

5.  Delete all local models and their support folders/files from each workstation

6.  Create a new local model for each workstation and save them back to central to ensure everything is working

7.  Close the local model and then reopen it....SWC again and verify everything is ok

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 6
SteveKStafford
in reply to: DJSCRIPTS

First, when a central file is recreated the save history is eliminated. The resulting file will always be smaller than before. How much smaller will very from project to project. It will also grow quickly back to roughly the size it was before as people begin working on the file again. Also at any given moment your local file and the central file are different, meaning you've added or deleted elements but probably have not sync'd your work. Other users may have sync'd work that your local is not aware of yet either.

When Revit has a problem that prompts you to save a recovery file that is a crash and Revit has managed to do so better than most crashes where it just closes. Saving the recovery file sometimes does nothing because it has crashed inelegantly even though Revit thinks it managed to do so elegantly. The end result is no data, like a full on crash where Revit disappears.

Most of the times this happens to me I just did something specific, working on an element, creating something or edited something. Sometimes it is my fault, for example entering a value that is unacceptable for the element involved. Most of the time Revit is clever enough to reject it, other times not so clever...crash.

Other times it is just network connectivity or PC issues where Revit loses its access to memory or the shared resource or RAM and crashes.

Examine the Review Warnings dialog. Do you have a lot of warnings stored there? If so you should work to eliminate as many as you can. That's among the first things Autodesk support will recommend you do, so start there too.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 4 of 6
hemmanu
in reply to: SteveKStafford

hello,

i have seen this phenomenon were there is no problem with the file.

i was due to take care of a project in its last stage. 

the model in central with the size of more than 450 M.

all the backup detached files are with the size of ~250 M

i have save the model as project and i got the same size ~250 m 

since i'm not familiar with the project i do not know if some thing is missing.

is there a way to verify i have to whole model ?

thanks, Hagay.

Message 5 of 6
ToanDN
in reply to: hemmanu

Nothing wrong to worry about. When you save as a copy, Revit compacts the database so the size is much smaller.
Message 6 of 6
hemmanu
in reply to: ToanDN

thanks a lot.
Hagay

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report