Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Launcher

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
bcaudill_FE
790 Views, 17 Replies

Revit Launcher

What's a good Revit launcher to open specific systems and platforms?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
RobRocks
in reply to: bcaudill_FE

What do you mean?

Message 3 of 18
bcaudill_FE
in reply to: RobRocks

My previous firm had a Launcer icon that would allow you to choose the YEAR and System (Elec, Mech, Arch etc) prior to opening Revit to those settings. I'm not sure if it was something they built proprietary or is an add-in or tool available.

Message 4 of 18
iainsavage

I just have each of the versions pinned to my windows start menu.

There is only one Revit now. The old Architecture, Structural, MEP modules were discontinued several years ago so you just need to start Revit.

Message 5 of 18
bcaudill_FE
in reply to: iainsavage

Yes, but I don't need to open Struc, Arch, Mech, etc. Only Electrical systems. It doesn't hurt anything but it's very nice to open the specific platform you need. 

Message 6 of 18
RSomppi

@bcaudill_FE wrote:

Yes, but I don't need to open Struc, Arch, Mech, etc. Only Electrical systems. It doesn't hurt anything but it's very nice to open the specific platform you need. 

That's what he is saying. They are all the same program/"platform". They used to be different but not for a long time so that launcher is no longer valid.

Message 7 of 18
bcaudill_FE
in reply to: RSomppi

The system TABS on the ribbon are still independent. With the launcher I was just using, it doesn't turn on arch, struc, mech, plumbing if I select electrical. It also opens the YEAR platform for you. This can still be all automated to clean up the loading process. I'm assuming by these replies, it's a proprietary exe. 

Message 8 of 18
RSomppi

If you are using Electrical all the time. You can customize the ribbon in Options.

User Interface.png

Message 9 of 18
robert2JCCH

@bcaudill_FE wrote:

I'm assuming by these replies, it's a proprietary exe. 

The behavior does sound like a custom exe to manipulate the .ini file:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-30C62836-F3F1-4B78-B1AF-DB4E3FD79FDF

There's a surprisingly extensive set of documentation on the .ini file that would support creating such a thing.

Message 10 of 18
iainsavage

@bcaudill_FE wrote:

It also opens the YEAR platform for you.  

How do you mean?

Do you mean that you are opening a Revit file, your launcher detects the version of the file and then opens the correct Revit version?

Message 11 of 18
bcaudill_FE

No, the opposite. You open the launcher, choose the year and system and it opens Revit to those settings. 

Message 12 of 18
iainsavage

@bcaudill_FE wrote:

No, the opposite. You open the launcher, choose the year and system and it opens Revit to those settings. 

I don't understand the need for that.

Just pin all the versions to your windows start menu or group them on your desktop and start the version that you want.

If you only do electrical then, as already suggested, edit your settings to make Electrical your default discipline and choose which tabs you want to see by default every time you open the software.

I think I'm maybe missing something about why you would want this launcher app, it seems redundant to me.

Message 13 of 18
RobRocks

@iainsavage wrote:

@bcaudill_FE wrote:

I don't understand the need for that.

Just pin all the versions to your windows start menu or group them on your desktop and start the version that you want.

If you only do electrical then, as already suggested, edit your settings to make Electrical your default discipline and choose which tabs you want to see by default every time you open the software.

I think I'm maybe missing something about why you would want this launcher app, it seems redundant to me.

It sounds like it was written for those who won't stop opening files by double clicking them..

Message 14 of 18
bcaudill_FE

That's part of it too. People launching files from explorer.

Also - There's a difference between an absolute NEED and a tool that eliminates everything you described. If it's not your cup of tea, great - I think its beneficial to have a one stop shopping button, rather than pinning every single version to your task bar. Same thing works for CAD. Are you telling me you have 6-8 Revit/CAD programs pinned to your task bar at all times? If so, great - That's works for you. But when you HAVE this tool, it's pretty nice. 

Message 15 of 18
RobRocks

@bcaudill_FE wrote:

Also - There's a difference between an absolute NEED and a tool that eliminates everything you described. If it's not your cup of tea, great 

There's no need to make it personal. I merely mentioned that the tool was designed for people who double click files to open them. 

I don't know what you mean by "everything you described". I did not mention anything about it not being a good way to open files in Revit and the potential problems that it could cause.

You obviously don't need to close unneeded panels, "platforms" as you call it, every time you open Revit since all you need is electrical and you can customize your ribbon without the tool. 

Message 16 of 18
bcaudill_FE

Platforms:

Revit 2020

Revit 2021

Revit 2022

Revit 2023

Revit 2024

Autocad 2020

Autocad 2021

Autocad 2022

Autocad 2023

Autocad 2024

Not ideal to PIN all platforms. 

Message 17 of 18
RobRocks

Closer but still not correct. 

The platforms are Revit and AutoCAD. 

The yearly releases are versions.

I currently have 6 versions of Revit shortcuts on my desktop and still wouldn't consider double clicking files to open them.

I've never had a need for multiple versions of AutoCAD since it is backwards compatible. Even when I was using AutoCAD MEP. I only had one version. Having multiple versions is redundant. 

Obviously, my comment about double clicking files to open projects got under your skin even though it wasn't meant to. Not sure why, I must have unintentionally struck a nerve.

I'm out.

Message 18 of 18
iainsavage

I have 6 versions of Revit pinned to my windows start menu (not the task bar). Click the window icon at  the left side of the task bar and they pop up.

I've never kept more than one version of Autocad since there is no need due to backward compatibility as @RobRocks said.

To answer your original post, it seems like users on here don't know of such a launcher and feel that it is not needed but if you want to pursue it then go for it.

It sounds like you'd maybe need to create your own app to get what you want though and I just feel the effort in that probably isn't worth the minimal gain. Maybe folks on the API forum would say differently?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report