Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Fittings won't make connection at certain angles

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
4254 Views, 25 Replies

Revit Fittings won't make connection at certain angles

Some of my fittings seem to be picky at certain times as to whether they will make the connection or not.  For example this p-trap complains when trying to make anything but a 90 degree connection but its fine if it is a regular 90.  See attachment.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
amolleken
in reply to: RobDraw

I agree with the previous guy...you are not helpful. It is Autodesk's responsibility to makew sure all their out of the box fittings work properly for the amount of money they charge for the product...and your incorrect. my MEP setting are set to allow for 1/4"/slope and in 2019 latest update and all model still no elbows permitted in 1/4"/1'-0" slope which in plumbing is required by code. Not that autodesk cares about codes cause if they did we could input the code the local jurisdiction requires in their analysis portion of the software. 

No user of any several thousand dollar a seat software should have to invent their own stuff to do something as simple as using a tool included in the OOTB feature which is what this is.

Just because you feel the need to support the company that made the software doesn't make the problem go away and it is a very real problem...all sanitary pipe under a certain size on every version of the IPC i have ever read needs to be 1/4"/1'-0" so that needs to be able to have all the fittings work with it....changing the fitting to a none OOTB fitting does NOT fix it....the feature is broken in the code written by autodesk.

Message 22 of 26
amolleken

by the way...this is how worng you are: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

autodesk says yes this is a real thing...and we know it..........

Message 23 of 26
RobDraw
in reply to: amolleken

Revit OOTB content sucks. If you think that they are supposed to be a complete package that functions perfectly in every workflow, you couldn't be more wrong. The families that they include were originally made to serve as an example of what can be done. Why do you think BIMObject exists and manufacturers are called upon to make content? I'm sorry you don't recognize that and if you continue to blame the Autodesk, you're going to have a frustrating career. Don't let the content control you. Learn how to control your content.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 24 of 26
arautio

Revit Content - A great frustration and disappointment.   When you make a few billion a year, logic would dictate that you could hire a small team to make some really really really good content.  That would be an efficient use of resources.  Expecting 1,000 manufacturers, or 10,000 separate firms to make the same content is an industry wide waste. I am not just referring to pipes,  everything from walls and floors to symbology and doors. I have used and taught Revit for almost 10 years,  made some amazing one size fits all with tons of options families,  these have served me and firms I have worked very well for many years. Making a really good family takes a lot of time, and nobody wants to invest what is needed to do it right, so you get a thousand third parties sharing/providing recourses that suck. It took about 48 hours for me to make an absolutely amazing set of door families.  Hate the though of 10000 firms having to spend the same time to create something like this when it could be done once (that's 480,000 hours industry wide so everyone can have a good set of doors, when it could have taken 48hrs just once by a talented team at Autodesk).  And not just functional but aesthetically pleasing content, Architects are artists after all and no good firm I have worked with has settled with out of the box anything, so I see the same things being made over and over.  The global/collective inefficiency just hurts my mind.

Message 25 of 26
iainsavage
in reply to: arautio

Some fittings require the “allow slope adjustments” option to be activated. 
Open the family, select the connector(s), change classification to Global, tick “allow slope adjustments”, change connectors back to Fitting, reload into project.

Takes less time than composing long emails which nobody at Autodesk reads or acts upon.

This is a common problem, even in content provided by manufacturers who only make drainage pipe and fittings and should know better and should test their fittings on sloped pipe before issuing them.

The other issue could be that the lookup table only has values for particular angles and the formulas in the family won’t allow creation of the geometry if the values are not found in the lookup table.

I learned a long time ago that content (from any sources) is generally less than perfect and needs some customisation to work the way you want, so you can either accept that, adapt and move on with your life or you can spend a lot of time and energy complaining. With the latter choice Autodesk will still be making money and you’ll have higher blood pressure.

Message 26 of 26
RobDraw
in reply to: arautio

I don't know what you're all upset about.  Revit content was never meant to be anything more than an example library. Much like any other OOTB content. When it comes to this stuff, one size definitely doesn't fit all. If anyone told you it would,  they were quite mistaken. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report