Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Families Hosting to Each other

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
647 Views, 8 Replies

Revit Families Hosting to Each other

I think I know the answer, but wanted to check in.  

We have electrical equipment families that if they are placed to close to each other, the second instance will pick the first instance as the host rather then the  wall we click on.  (The families are face based, not wall based).  Whats weird is that it looks like its on the wall (correct orientation and all that) but is somehow hosted to the first panel.

My presumption is that the second panel is selecting the first panels reference level /  work planes used in modeling it.  Its not earth shattering, but its annoying.

Thoughts on if that's right or why it might be selecting things that are not visible in the project / view?  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
hmunsell
in reply to: Anonymous

what if you place the panel so it hosts to the face of the wall, then use the arrow keys to nudge it over. You can also select the panel and you should get temporary dimensions you can use to adjust the distance.

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: hmunsell

@hmunsell 

Moving the panel or even correcting it is not necessarily a difficulty task.  No problem with that part.

If this is something I can fix by modifying the family, that would be my preference!  I'm just not sure where to go to fix it or why invisible geometry / work planes are being utilized to host the panel.  

Is this a known "issue" with face based families?

Message 4 of 9
hmunsell

a face based family will orientate itself to any face.

• you can try to edit the family and select the reference planes that are causing you issues. then set them to Weak Reference. that should set them so they are not selectable after its placed.
  • you can also remake the family as a Wall Hosted family so it will only host to walls surfaces. 

those would be my first to options to try......

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
RobDraw

Issue or just functionality is a matter of point of view. Even if it is hidden from view, it is still in the model.

Have you tried to Pick New Host? It won't pick the same host might be easier than adjusting the placement.

Pick New Host.jpg

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

@hmunsell and @RobDraw 

Understood and I use those methods already.  (Most of the work planes are set to not a Reference, and I use the select new host button to separate them once entangled).

Follow up question, does the actual physical size of the Work Plane extents that I draw in the Family actually translate into the Project?  Will cutting those down in length reduce this behavior (of picking the family to host to instead of the wall)?  

Message 7 of 9
RobDraw

I normally keep them somewhat close out of habit. Give it a try and let us know.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Whaaaat?  I have to do something?  I just want answers!  😛

(Currently out of the office for 2 days on site, but Ill report back Monday when I can dig into the test bed.)

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

In my defense, I inherited these families.  😕

With that said I had some time last night and the previous author had created three (3) very small hidden lines just sitting in the family definition that were not assigned to any type of reference plane, parameter, etc and also set to weak references.  They look like old geometry that was forgotten about. 

They are not readily visible unless the equipment was a certain size.  Removing them seems to have fixed the hosting issues.  

I am slowly coming to the opinion that it is better to burn the existing families to the ground and restart then attempt to modify someone else's work...

Thanks for the help! 

(OH!  btw, the 3D extends of the work plane had no effect on the hosting from what I could tell.  However, I did only find these because I started playing with the work planes trying to see which one it could have been and happened to find those little lines in the process)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Autodesk Design & Make Report