Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit AutoCAD linked file underlay?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
7339 Views, 4 Replies

Revit AutoCAD linked file underlay?

I'm linking an autoCAD file into my Revit model in a view.  It's being linked by current view only so that my revit model won't be so slow.  Could I have all of my other views that I create show the autoCAD view that I linked in; as an underlay?  I'm trying to keeping from having the autoCAD dwg show up in all the views, because I would only need it shown in a couple of views only.  So far I've tried to show it as an underlay per the view level it's on, but it's not showing up on another view.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MuirEng
in reply to: Anonymous

When you link the AutoCAD isn't it ending up in physical space, on the level it is associated with? All views with extents and view depth (and the right VG settings) will also see that underlay. When I work in Revit with AutoCAD source from an architect I stack up all the floor plans on the proper levels (for a building), and then the level 1 plan will pick up the level 1 underlay, and level 2 will do same for level 2 underlay and so on. It is important to clean up the .dwg file so it is flat. Also I like to add a few walls in Revit for areas I want to detail, such as the electrical room.

Brian Muir, P.Eng, Muir Engineering
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: MuirEng

That's the issue I'm running into, when I link in the autoCAD in the current view only.  I can't see it in any other views, especially 3D view.  And when I click on the autoCAD file in the view I placed it in; It does not show me the level it's on or gives me the option to put it on a level.  When I brought it in, it had grayed out the place at level option, but I noticed that it was on the same level as whatever the view was on.  Will I have to bring it in on all views only in order to get it to show up in 3D view and the other views? 

Message 4 of 5
chrisplyler
in reply to: Anonymous

Um... yes. That's what linking with "This View Only" means. It means it will only be in that view. You won't be able to see it in other views. But you could link it in again to the other view you want also.

Message 5 of 5
MuirEng
in reply to: chrisplyler

I don't know about the option to just link in one view. I just link it in, like so:

Capture.JPG

And from there, like I said, use other mechanisms in Revit to either show it or not. In my case the .dwg file represents something in physical space, albeit flattened, so I just put it into that physical space, x,y,z.

If the .dwg represents something abstract then linking it into just one view would make sense.

Brian Muir, P.Eng, Muir Engineering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report