Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receptacle Sizes

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
coreeQ9QY4
564 Views, 10 Replies

Receptacle Sizes

I would like the receptacle, at 1/4"=1'-0" on the view scale, to be exactly 6" in diameter and the total length to be 9". When I measure with the tool, I can't snap to it, but it is somewhere around 5 and something inches. When I change the view scale to 1/8"=1'-0", I would like for it to exactly double in size to 12" diameter and similarly with all the other scales (1.333*actual floor plan size from 1/4"=1'-0" to 3/16"=1'-0" and so forth). I believe it currently already does this, but just not in the initial size that I would like.

Is there any way I can do this if I were to go in and update the family? I am using Revit's default receptacles. If I go in to the nested family, shown as "Duplex Annotation" on the file, the actual receptacle diameter is at 7/64" which obviously is very small. 

Where do I even begin to edit these families to have it represented on the floor plan with exact sizes that I would prefer.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
RSomppi
in reply to: coreeQ9QY4

You are already on the right track. Many use the OOTB families and edit them to suit their needs. Do not overwrite these files. Use a naming convention that indicates them as custom families so that they don't get confused with the OOTB families.

The anotation symbol in the nested family is at 1:1 scale. Do the math from your desired size at scale, i.e. 6"/48=1/4" diameter (1/4"=1'-0", 1/4"=12", 1"=48") is the size of the circle at 1:1 scale.

Message 3 of 11
coreeQ9QY4
in reply to: RSomppi

Thank you for the quick response. I will give this a try. 

I also had a semi related follow up question if you would be able to answer. When I open up the family file, there is a random rectangular block that the "3D" receptacle is attached to. I assume this represents a wall that it is attaching to, however, the size of it seems arbitrary. Is this simply an arbitrary feature in the family? Sorry, I am new to Revit and there are several aspects of these families that are quite confusing.

Message 4 of 11
curtisridenour

yes that is the face or the wall based family default hosting element. you can ignore it for all intents and purposes.
Message 5 of 11
curtisridenour

or you could have Revit do the math for you. just be careful. trying to make an Annotation be fit a scale can be a fools errand if you have more than one drawing scale. 

curtisridenour_0-1719334873127.png

Message 6 of 11
RSomppi
in reply to: curtisridenour

@curtisridenour wrote:

trying to make an Annotation be fit a scale can be a fools errand if you have more than one drawing scale. 

Hardly. This is what annotations do, change size according to scale. Fairly basic, really.

Message 7 of 11
curtisridenour

@RSomppi maybe you misunderstood. If you want the annotation to look 6" in diameter (as the OP was talking about) using an annotation will not work if you have more than one drawing scale.

Annotations do not change size ever. They print the same no matter what the scale. They are not the same size relative to the rest of the drawing which are almost always drawn to scale.

Message 8 of 11
curtisridenour

curtisridenour_1-1719343003282.png

Message 9 of 11
RSomppi

The topic of discussion is annotation symbols that do not change printed sizes any scale. The sizes mentioned by the OP correspond with the measured height in a model view. Quran simple really..

don’t know why you’re talking about non-annotation symbols like those used for lighting and panels. Which are still easy to do, by the way.

Message 10 of 11
curtisridenour

"(1.333*actual floor plan size from 1/4"=1'-0" to 3/16"=1'-0" and so forth)." was the part that got my ears burning. Trying to make an annotation 1.333 times the actual size sounds like a Detail Item not an Annotation.

One can scale an annotation to any size but it can only be done once. Annotations are the same size on the sheet regardless of scale. If the OP is looking to have an annotation be 1.333 times the size of the actual physical element, using a Detail Item is the way to go.

And yes, Detail Items are not hard, but they are a different tool. I wanted to ensure that the OP knew which tool was the correct tool for the intended job.

If you want something to be relative in size to the scale of the drawing, use a Detail Item.

If you want something to be the same size regardless of the scale of the drawing (or incorporate text), use an Annotation.
Message 11 of 11
RSomppi

@curtisridenour wrote:
"(1.333*actual floor plan size from 1/4"=1'-0" to 3/16"=1'-0" and so forth)." was the part that got my ears burning. 

The math is correct. It is a direct ratio to get the same printed symbol size as the other scales. The OP needs only to adjust the annotation symbol to be the actual printed size at a sclae of 1:1, which is what I was trying to say in my first responce.

Why would your ears burn?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report