Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden Line Detail

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
sagnewYUXLR
594 Views, 11 Replies

Hidden Line Detail

Hi, 

I was wondering if there's a way for the pipe to appear hidden when it passes the steelwork in the snap shot below?

sagnewYUXLR_0-1677853183765.png

the hidden line appears for the pipe that's with the fitting (cyan) but doesn't when passing the PFC upstand. i cant use the linework tool as this changes the full length of pipe to hidden detail and not the section that passes by the upstand. 

many thanks 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
iainsavage
in reply to: sagnewYUXLR

In the Plumbing discipline view building elements won't hide MEP elements.

I think the view would need to be Coordination and hidden lines set to "all".

iainsavage_0-1677864108446.png

Message 3 of 12
sagnewYUXLR
in reply to: iainsavage

yeah but this creates other problems, you lose the centre line of the pipe as this now appears as a hidden and items you don't want to show the hidden line detail of like flanges shows all hidden line. 

coordination hidden line all 

sagnewYUXLR_0-1677868024643.png

sagnewYUXLR_1-1677868082884.png

is there a better way to set up plumbing discipline to show structural items as hidden line?  

wish there was a way to setup your own view discipline to allow you to set what you want to appear as hidden line etc. 

thanks for the reply much appreciated 

Message 4 of 12
RobDraw

@sagnewYUXLR wrote:

is there a better way to set up plumbing discipline to show structural items as hidden line?  

wish there was a way to setup your own view discipline to allow you to set what you want to appear as hidden line etc. 

Sorry, your stuck with limited options. Pick your poison.

You can express your wish to Autodesk in the IDEAS forum.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 5 of 12
sagnewYUXLR
in reply to: RobDraw

will do thanks 

Message 6 of 12
sagnewYUXLR

not really got the solution i was looking for (in reply to email from autodesk) 

Message 7 of 12
iainsavage

The view discipline settings are hard-coded.

The purpose of the Mechanical, Plumbing and Electrical discipline views is specifically to highlight the MEP elements and relegate the architectural and structural elements so that MEP elements are not obscured by building and structural elements. Hence why your pipes are not hidden by columns in a Plumbing discipline view.

Coordination discipline with hidden lines set to all is your best option I think.

If you want to see the centrelines as centrelines rather than hidden lines you can apply some transparency to the pipe category.

iainsavage_0-1678358226644.png

Maybe they should have included a "None" or "Freestyle" view discipline to allow complete freedom for the user to change settings but they haven't. Also how would that work in your instance where you want to see hidden lines behind columns but not inside pipe fittings ("you lose the centre line of the pipe as this now appears as a hidden and items you don't want to show the hidden line detail of like flanges") - would there need to be a matrix to be completed by the user to say which categories should hide which categories and whether elements should hide their own internal parts etc? Could become quite complicated.

Message 8 of 12
sagnewYUXLR
in reply to: iainsavage

thanks ian much appreciated. 

i did put an idea similar to your proposal in the revit ideas page for this after rob asked me to. 

we are using revit for process/water treatment jobs so the requirements are slightly different again from a traditional MEP job but as you can imagine our interaction between DN900 pipe and support steelwork requires some of the finer details to appear etc compared to say some DN25 LTHW/CHW pipe etc. 

once again thanks for all your help much appreciated 

Message 9 of 12
RobDraw

@sagnewYUXLR wrote:

we are using revit for process/water treatment jobs so the requirements are slightly different again from a traditional MEP job

Not when it comes to drafting standards, but if your clients require not following traditional standards that are actually programmed into Revit, you might consider using a different program that gives you the versatility that you need or consider changing the requirements to be more inline with the limitations of the program.

Rob

Message 10 of 12
sagnewYUXLR

not sure what you mean about traditional standards but hey ho, what i've asked for is what you'd expect to see on a piping drawing with regards to the hidden line detail 

Message 11 of 12
RobDraw

You don't know about drafting standards but you are saying what they should be?

Which is it?

Do you really think Revit got it wrong?

Rob

Message 12 of 12
sagnewYUXLR

You make me smile from ear to ear 👍

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report