Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Room Layout

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
913 Views, 2 Replies

Electrical Room Layout

Hello everyone,

I am new to Revit and AutoCAD entirly just to start... and I have only had a certified class in Revit basics.

To start my 'real world' training, I have to layout an electrical room to be built. However I need help in creating custom sized panels/switchboards and the like. I guess I'm wondering where I can start with this. 

Help would be greatly appreciated!

(I'm running Revit 2015)

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

I assume you have access to Revit.

Depending how comfortable you already feel in Revit. If you feel you have a good grasp of the concept of Revit then I would say....start drawing and use the internet (blogs, forums, youtube) to find solutions to your problems. If it still feels all very new I would say invest in a book (e.g Mastering Revit Series) or look for video courses (e.g Lynda, infiniteskills).

A book or video course has the advantage that it is a more overall software approach. Youtube (e.g. Autodesk channel), forums and blogs are more typical to solve a certain problem.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 3
MuirEng
in reply to: L.Maas

Hi, I am a few weeks ahead of you.

I built my first electrical rooms with some custom content but also you should take advantage of published content available online!

For example, Siemens has a pretty good set of content for the P2/P3/P4 line of panelboards.

I've made some custom content consisting of:

- modified transformers out of the box

- custom gutters

- "L boxes" for underground service entry,

- a meter base.

Lynda.Com has some really good courses on family creation and I've probably spent 40 hours or doing online study and practice. I beleive Revit demands this sort of time to become productive. I am running Revit MEP 2015 by the way, and I think you will need some of the MEP functionality if you are working in the electrical domain.

Here is a file you might find useful.

Sample Electrical Room.

I put some short conduit stubs in there, but I think that part of it is a bit of a hack job.

Good luck!

Brian Muir, P.Eng, Muir Engineering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report