Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying & Distinguishing Multiple Phases on Same Sheets

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2022 Views, 4 Replies

Displaying & Distinguishing Multiple Phases on Same Sheets

Hello all,

I am wondering if the forum can assist me with an ongoing building services (MEP and HVAC) design project I am undertaking, which I am looking to split the project into two phases. Rather than split the layouts into their respective phases, I wish to show both phases on the same sheets, clearly indicating (i.e. through different colours and/or half-tone) which elements are Phase 1 and Phase 2 respectively.

In the Manage>Phases tab, I have created additional phases named Phase 1 & 2 accordingly, but when I try to filter them in the Graphic Overrides feature to show Phase 2 in halftone, elements across the project revert to this, or disappear from view altogether. Is there another way I can approach this (I was thinking along lines of V/G and filters)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

- Chris 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sujanc
in reply to: Anonymous

You can go with the filter option to segregate as well as to show different elements in same sheet as per there property.

Please select "Accept solution" if the information was helpful (This allows other users with the same issues to find it higher in search results), or reply back if you need more help!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: sujanc

Many thanks for the reply. I have one follow-up question; do I have to duplicate the elements (i.e. Supply Air Duct Phase 1/ Supply Air Duct Phase 2) and then add them both to the rule-based filters, with varying colours and/or transparency?

Message 4 of 5
sujanc

Add one parameter then put all the phase 1 element and run the filter and put the remaining in phase 2. 

Please select "Accept solution" if the information was helpful (This allows other users with the same issues to find it higher in search results), or reply back if you need more help!
Message 5 of 5
hmunsell

Revit has 4 “Phase States” that are hard coded. You can have different Phase Filters and Phases, but the Phase States are set.

A wise instructor once told me “Revit cannot show you the future, it can only show you the past….”

General Phase Rules:

New = anything drawing in the current phase is considered “New” in that phase

Existing = anything previous to the current phase (all previous phases are considered Existing in the New phase)

Demolished = anything from the previous phase that does not exist in the current phase (demolish items are demo’d in the phase you want them to be removed from)

Temporary = anything that is created and removed during the current phase (something only there for that phase and removed prior to the next phase)

there are several ways to have 2 phases with equal priority at the same time is to trick Revit. The easiest way, and not my personal preferences, is to make 2 views. One showing only one phase and one showing only the other phases. Then you can place them both on the same sheet directly on top of each other.

I have also used Worksets in the past to accomplish this. Put both sets of items in the same phase but have a Phase 1 and Phase 2 workset and assign overrides to the Worksets.

If you have no Demolition in the project, you can use the Demolition Phase State as a “phase”. Set the Phase 1 items as Existing to be Demolished in Phase 2. Then set your view phase to phase 2, Show Demo & New. You can then change the Phase State overrides to show how you want.

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report