Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Ducts Layout

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mzmaso90
208 Views, 3 Replies

Create Ducts Layout

I tried to create a layout for a list of large number of diffusers in plan, but Revit just stop to count after twelve diffusers together. How would you advice to proceed to calculate a path with almost 50 diffusers? I can attach a screenshot. Moreover from the twelve number selected, I viewed that not all the diffusers have been selected.

mzmaso90_0-1695636263804.png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
iainsavage
in reply to: mzmaso90

Are you taking about the Generate Layout tool?

iainsavage_1-1695639120727.png

I just used it on a sample of 200 diffusers, worked okay:

iainsavage_0-1695639080595.png

Please provide more details of the procedure that you are using and if possible upload your model for investigation. 

Message 3 of 4
mzmaso90
in reply to: iainsavage

mzmaso90_0-1695641846538.png

Hello Ian, Yes I didn't connect to the same system one diffuser. Now works, but It seems not so sharp when I tried to recreate a diagonal designed system. Which procedure would you follow to chase these design quickly?

Message 4 of 4
iainsavage
in reply to: mzmaso90

My initial response was only in relation to the failure to generate a layout for more than 12 diffusers per your initial question.

On the wider issue now raised, personally I've never been reliant on auto-generation of network layouts - it never seems to get it quite right and then you're left with having to modify what it produces, e.g. branches reversed or main runs split into short sections between take-offs etc. Often I think its easier/quicker to sketch out the bones of the system and then use the "Connects into" option for diffusers.

I assume you've noticed that you can scroll through various possible system layouts before you commit to the one closest to what you want:

iainsavage_4-1695649785609.png

Regarding the diagonal layout problem, I would suggest breaking the systems down into chunks, then join them later:

iainsavage_3-1695648317083.png

However the diagonal layout doesn't seem to generate if you use the "Place Base" option to define the source end of the system, unless you play about with the view rotation by rotating the crop region or by changing the true north settings.

You've also got the option of generating a layout with placeholders which you can then edit/modify before converting to ducts.

So really its a bit of trial and error to see what works for you but if you think that you can automatically generate a layout for a substantial system and it won't require any manual input from yourself then I think you're going to be disappointed (despite what you might have seen in sales videos or in simplistic training tutorials).

Hope this helps. Other users on the forum might have different experiences of layout generation so maybe they can make other suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators