Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create a global parameter for all light fixtures

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JustinBrown8567
552 Views, 4 Replies

create a global parameter for all light fixtures

I don't think my title explains what I'm looking to do very well but this is the desired workflow:

1. at the start of a new project, a team member enters a distributor markup number somewhere, because the markups can change
  2. I was thinking under Manage/Project Information would be a good place for it?
  3. that number then gets used in a formula that gets multiplied with another user-entered distributor net number unique to each lighting fixture type
  4. I can get this to work easily using a shared parameter at the family level but the distributor markup has to be entered for each type (see below) and I'd love if it only had to be entered in one location to save time and make global edits easy

formula.jpg

I hope that makes sense and I'm looking forward to your responses.

I'm sure this is just another thing I don't know about Revit.......

thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hello @JustinBrown8567,

To solve your problem just add the two shared parameters to your family.

_DN $  and   _DN markup.

Then load the families back into your project.

Create a Global parameter en fill in the desired value.

create Global Parameter.png

select your family and go to Edit Type and add the global parameter to that _DN markup parameter.

see the picture below.

global parameter.png

Result after changing the Global parameter.

global parameter schedule.png

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 3 of 5

@JustinBrown8567 the solution provided by @robert.klempau is a good one but my only comment on this that he has to link the family parameter with the global parameter. So this shall be made to every family and every type accordingly.

I have another solution it is straightforward and almost similar to @robert.klempau solution.

Just create a new parameter inside the project and assign this parameter for lighting fixture(you can assign to other categories if needed) and then make a schedule and sort your schedule by this parameter and uncheck "itemize every instance" and then all the families will be in one row and add the value you want.
This way I believe it will save your time.

Please, if this solved your issue, marked as an answer to help others.:)

You found a post helpful? Then feel free to give likes to these posts!
Your question got successfully answered? Then just click on the 'Mark as solution' button.

src="https://autodesk.widen.net/content/fbz0l2onhe/png/autodesk-expert-elite-forum-signature-logo.png" >
Mahmoud Zeidan
BIM Manager/Mechanical Engineer
Message 4 of 5

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your replies. Let me try both methods and I will report back.

Message 5 of 5

Since I had to go into every family anyway to edit the formula, I ended up using your method @robert.klempau although I can see how your method @Mahmoud.Ziedan would have saved me a lot of time.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report