Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug dimension ventilation duct

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Hamea5
1551 Views, 20 Replies

Bug dimension ventilation duct

Hello,

I discovered a Bug in REVIT 2019 (version 2019.2 _19.2.0.65) with the use of ducts

In the floor view, the duct is drawn to the correct dimensions, but the dimensions are reversed. Indeed, when dimensioning with a label, the width and height dimension is reversed, but not the value of the label!

To be clearer, here is an example with 2 ducts of the same size, at the same height. The problem is on the right sheath.

• The lower arase is not the same
  • The Width and Height properties are reversed.
  • Strangely, the size is the same
  • Global and free size are reversed
  • The lower arase is not the same

For the size property, the display in the label is correct, but not the properties window!

French

Bonjour,

J’ai découvert un Bug dans REVIT 2019 (version 2019.2 _19.2.0.65) avec l’utilisation des gaines

Dans la vue d’étage, la gaine est dessinée aux bonnes dimensions, mais les cotes sont inversées. En effet, au moment de la cotation avec une étiquette, la cote largeur et hauteur est inversée, mais pas la valeur de l’étiquette !

Pour être plus claire, voici un exemple avec 2 gaines de même dimension, à la même hauteur. Le problème est sur la gaine de droite.

• L’arase inferieur n’est pas la même
  • Les propriétés Largeur et hauteur sont inversée
  • Bizarrement la taille est la même
  • Taille globale et libre sont inversées
  • L’arase inferieure n’est pas la même

Pour la propriété taille, l’affichage dans l’étiquette est correct, mais pas la fenêtre des propriétés !

Tags (3)
Labels (3)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
RobDraw
in reply to: Hamea5

Bug reporting is elsewhere.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 21
Hamea5
in reply to: RobDraw

Hello,
I believe it is a serious mistake to provide the wrong information in software like REVIT.
New let's make production plans (EXE made in France) and the lower level is important for the assembly of the ducts!
It seems to me that you often give the same answer just because you don't have the answer ...
Message 4 of 21
RobDraw

You can report the "bug" in the appropriate forum.

If you want answers, you need to ask questions.

Your personal attack is inappropriate.

Is your keyboard broken?

Rob

Message 5 of 21
iainsavage

Were the ducts drawn in the floor plan view or were they drawn in a section view?

Message 6 of 21
Hamea5

Can you tell me where the BUG section is, I have not found.
Thank you

Message 7 of 21
Hamea5
in reply to: iainsavage

Probably in a cut, the problem is well known at the time of the drawing, but in the end we manage to invert the dimensions to have a correct drawing. Except that it is wrong ...
I tried to reproduce, but I can't.
You should also know that the project was at the beginning in version 2016, and that we switched it to 2019

Message 8 of 21
RobDraw

Welp, if you can't reproduce it, it's not a bug. 

There are ways to reproduce it but it's not a bug. It usually happens when drawing in section but your OP said plan. I think it has to do with those parameters being passed through an elbow in an unexpected way. If you actually examine what is happening with the connected elements, you might see the logic to it. 

Rob

Message 9 of 21
RobDraw

If after examining the information you still feel it's a bug, go to the product feedback page.

Alternatively, if you think it just needs to work differently, you can try your luck on the IDEAS page.

Rob

Message 10 of 21
Hamea5

But the value of the Size property is different in the property window is in the label, is it a BUG?
The lower level is also not correct in the label. The problem for me is how to correct?
It is a project of more than 200,000 m2.
I have tried with Dynamo to find the ducts with the problem, but without success for the moment.

Message 11 of 21
RobDraw

Good luck.

Rob

Message 12 of 21
iainsavage

Maybe you could upload a small part of your model with the problem ducts and tags etc included. Then we can examine it.

Message 13 of 21
Hamea5

Attached is the RVT file.
(Is not the project, but a copy / paste of a duct)
Message 14 of 21
iainsavage

Okay,

I see your issue now.

I was able to recreate your problem (in Revit 2021) by drawing a duct at 2500mm elevation, 150mm wide and 300mm high - all dimensions displayed correctly - then in the cross-section view I rotated the duct around its long axis - the result was exactly what you are seeing with your magenta duct, bottom elevation remained at 2350mm instead of 2425mm and the width and height were wrong way around.

So the issue seems to be that when you create the duct the parameter values are correctly set but when you rotate the duct the parameter values are not refreshed.

I'm not sure that I would say this is a bug. They were probably not expecting anyone to model ducts in this manner by modelling them with the wrong aspect and then rotating them around their axis - why do that? - just change the width and height values in properties which is far easier to do and will yield the correct values.

Hope this helps.

Message 15 of 21
Hamea5
in reply to: iainsavage

Hello,
Thank you for watching.
We do not rotate the conduits. The problem arises when modifying or reworking a sheath in a cut. We are forced to use a cut to avoid or correct collisions.
If it's not a bug, why the information of the lower edge is wrong compared to the drawing?
To correct ? this is practically impossible because it is not possible to find the errors quickly. It would be necessary to place a label on each conduit and verify the value!
I opened a ticket at Autodesk

Message 16 of 21
iainsavage

I can draw ducts in section and they work fine and report the correct dimensions and bottom elevation etc.

When creating in section you have to reverse the width and height dimensions  to get the correct aspect ratio on plan.

Video attached.

The only way in which I can re-create your situation is by rotating the ducts around their long axis. You say that you haven't done this so I would be interested to find out how else this situation could occur so it would be interesting for anyone following this thread if you could share the response from Autodesk support when you get it.

Message 17 of 21
RobDraw

If you aren't tagging them, does it really matter?

With something so extensive, it's usually easier to redraw correctly than it is to track down all the mistakes. It could also help you recognize when the error occurs and allow you to figure out how to prevent it. You need to be able to replicate the problem in order to troubleshoot it. If Autodesk can't replicate it, they probably won't be able to help you.

Anyone can claim a bug by showing an unexpected result but it doesn't prove that it is actually a bug. You need to show how it happens. 

Rob

Message 18 of 21
Hamea5

Hello,
This is definitely a Bug for me. If the label of a room says 10 m2 when in reality it is 12 m2 it is indeed an error, therefore a Bug.
Here the lower edge does not correspond to the actual drawing of the sheath so it is indeed a bug.
You yourself say (above) that there are ways to reproduce it by drawing in a section, so it is a bug since you can reproduce it ...
I agree with you that we have to identify the moment when it happened, but today my project is finished in the drawing phase, there is still the dimensioning and adding labels (2,152,782 ft2)

Message 19 of 21
RobDraw

You haven't eliminated user error. Only when you can do that and replicate the problem proving that there's nothing wrong with the workflow can you call it a bug. The fact that it is difficult to replicate tells me that it can most likely be solved by altering the workflow.

Again, if it's a bug, you are in the wrong forum. The solutions that you get here will not fix a bug.

Rob

Message 20 of 21
iainsavage

I’m convinced that either deliberately or by accident the ducts have been rotated after creation and the error in the offset is because the parameters have not refreshed after the rotation. To me this is almost certainly user error but I am interested to hear what Autodesk say in response to the support ticket. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report