Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background models not perfectly aligned to project north

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
S.orchardR4UKW
418 Views, 5 Replies

Background models not perfectly aligned to project north

I'm a electric BIM detailer and just starting modeling a new project and noticed when drawing conduit parallel to my view I wasn't able to dimension it from the background architectural or structural model.  So I created a reference plane parallel to my view and made a angular tag with the most decimal places Revit would let me and sure enough my view isn't parallel to the background models.  This is causing conduit drawn in section views not want to connect to conduits in plan views because my section views are aligned to the grids. Also I think the problem will get worse because without making reference planes everywhere I wont be able to dimension any shop drawings to walls or column lines.  So before I get to far into the project I want to get this figured out.

What I was hoping to do is simply rotate my view by that tiny amount so everything will be inline, however it doesn't seem to let me rotate with that small of a increment.  I tried changing the project units to the highest accuracy and it still doesn't seam to work.  

Does anyone have any ideas?  

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
lee6800
in reply to: S.orchardR4UKW

have you tried copy / pasting that measurement value to the project base point angle to true north

lee6800_0-1635179355285.png

Message 3 of 6
S.orchardR4UKW
in reply to: lee6800

I have not, I was a little worried about messing with the base point settings because I wasn't sure if it would cause miss alignments with my .NWC exports for clash review.

Ill make a backup and try it out and see what happens, worth a shot at least haha

Message 4 of 6
S.orchardR4UKW

You Sir are a hero! that worked perfectly and it even seamed to fix my existing conduits because I can dimension to them now.  It was off by 0.0041878159,  and I guess that's all it takes to make revit mad

Message 5 of 6
lee6800
in reply to: S.orchardR4UKW

another way to sort it would have been to rotate the view the opposite way by lets say 30  degree first, and rotate it back by 30 + 0.0041878159 = 30.0041878159

This way you have not change the project coordinates and revit won't complain about the value being too small 

Message 6 of 6
S.orchardR4UKW

So I tried that actually, I went 10° to far then tried to go back the exact amount but it didn't seam to let me.  I may have done it wrong, but rotating the project norths seams to be the perfect solution because it fixed every view on all my floors and I tested the exports and they appear to still align properly.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report