Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotation Symbols on Electrical Fixtures

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
4956 Views, 7 Replies

Annotation Symbols on Electrical Fixtures

Hi All,

This may have been brought up before, but I cannot seem to find it.

I am currently creating an electrical layout and if I use Revit fixtures the annotation symbol shows on the drawings. If I import families from a manufacture, there are no annotation symbols. I have ticked the "Maintain Annotation Orientation" box and still nothing.

Obviously this may just mean that is was created without them. So my question is, how do I add or create an annotation symbole for an electrical fixture?

Thanks for your help.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CADTripper
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Nick,

Check the family that you are trying to use, check it from the family editor and see if there's a generic annotation nested in it because sometimes manufacturer uses symbolic lines and not generic annotation. If generic annotation was nested to the fixture, select it and check the visibility setting (from the above menu - "visibility settings") and see which detail levels was checked - coarse, medium or fine. You should match the detail levels of your electrical layout view in the project model to the detail level of the electrical fixture family so the symbol (generic annotation) will also display in the layout.

If the above still not working after you inserted the family into the project, try to check the model categories of your project model and make sure the family category is on.

If it still does not work, check your worksets (if you are using it and if not disregard this), make sure the worksets you used when inserting the family is on so the symbol will also display.

Let me know if this helps or not.

Ryan

Ryan Ortega
MEP BIM Lead
Aurecon Group - Dubai, UAE
www.ryanortega-bimportfolio.com
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: CADTripper

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your message. I had a look and it seems to me that there is no annotation.

I have attached the file, maybe you could have a look and see if I am missing something?

If there is no annotation, is there a way I can add / create one?

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
fabiosato

Hello Nick,

I checked your family and it does not contain an annotation family, you will need to insert it in the family, and remember to check the maintain annotation orientation.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: fabiosato

Thank you for the reply. Sorry to be really Dim but how do you insert an annotation into the family?

Thanks

Message 6 of 8
fabiosato

Hello Nick,

Using generic annotation template you create the symbol, don´t change the category!

Then open your fixture and load it in the family, expand the generic annotation family in the project browser and right click the annotation type, select create instance and them place the symbol.

Check the proper orientation of the symbol.

Good luck!

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
CADTripper

Hi Nick,

You have to create a separate family under the category of "Generic Annotations". You can use the template provided in your Revit package. The template has no object in it but it was categorized under Generic Annotations for you to start developing your own according to your requirement. There are several templates you can use for other category also. Once you have done creating your Generic Annotations family, load it into your electrical fixtures family by clicking "Load Into Project". This button is available from every menu you will click and it was placed far right by default. After clicking "Load Into Project", make sure you select your electrical fixture family and not into your project. Place it in the electrical family fixture as you wish. Once loaded into your electrical fixture family, save your family then click the same button but this time load it into your project.

You may need to control the visibility of your eletrical fixture family to show only the symbol when loaded into the project model. You can do this by selecting the object (not the symbol) and check the "Visibility Settings" that appears above.

Ryan Ortega
MEP BIM Lead
Aurecon Group - Dubai, UAE
www.ryanortega-bimportfolio.com
Message 8 of 8
antonio.olguin

Hi @Anonymous 
Try to turn on the parameter Maintain Annotation Orientation then load the family to project, it should work. 

2023-05-14_22-47-42-Revit_0QmhveGDIc.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report