Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a pattern to a pipe like G for gas pipe.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
isosa9APBT
1282 Views, 3 Replies

Adding a pattern to a pipe like G for gas pipe.

I'm creating a multi-discipline layout and I was wondering if I can add a initials of letter to the pipe itself. Without labels it's hard to know what each pipe is. I seen in civil how they have legends for their pipes and they will have initials or letters with in the line to tell each utility apart. Is there a way to do the same for mechanical in Revit? i attached an image of what i would like the pipes to look like based on a civil plan.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SteveKStafford
in reply to: isosa9APBT

Revit doesn't permit adding text to line patterns. The intended approach is use pipe tags that identify their System Abbreviation parameter. This way you can place tags on a pipe or several along a pipe to do the same thing.

Relying on a line pattern can problematic when sections of pipe are very short, there isn't enough length for a patter to develop. The tag approach is a different task but can be done pretty quickly with the Tag All (untagged) tool.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 3 of 4
L.Maas
in reply to: isosa9APBT

Why not use colours and hatches to differentiate? Now that Revit 2019 allows for and background patterns there should be enough to differentiate. This in combination with some tags, as proposed by @SteveKStafford, should be sufficient to  separate the different systems.

With some well thought out hatches they probably could even hold up in black and white print outs.

hatching.png

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 4 of 4
AzWoodWarrior
in reply to: L.Maas

I would love to be able to use colors to differentiate hot, cold, nat. gas, but unfortunately the municipalities i deal with only accept grayscale so I have to settle for line patterns and weight. I haven't been able to get a hatch to show on an object as thin as a pipe. Do you have any suggestions for me? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report