Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeating Model elements (same as repeating detail tool)

Repeating Model elements (same as repeating detail tool)

creating arrays withing families can be difficult to make and constrain, and because that tool create groups they also perform really poorly.
however Revit already has a tool for repeating elements thats works really well, the repeating detail tool.

if we could use the same tool with model elements in the standard family environment we could make lighter, more efficient families that are also more robust.

for example the repeating detail tool can handle 1 object where the array requires at least 2.

there are many reasons why we needto array nested componants in familiys, like louvre windows or batten screens and on large projects these elements significantly slow down the file.

7 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was About to Type the same Idea when it appeared to me in the Tags bar.......Yes I do highly recommend since 2012 wish and still recommending...

elmorei
Enthusiast

Allowing Repeating Detail Components to nest inside of families would allow for complex line-based detail families without the awkwardness and lag associated with multiple arrays.  This would also allow for a number of other fast and efficient family creation options that are currently infeasible.

elmorei
Enthusiast

A "Repeating Component" feature similar to "Repeating Detail Component" could dramatically simplify the calculations associated with Arrays (requiring nesting groups and often breaking).  It could have the same option set as the Repeating Detail feature regarding spacing and count, and act as a single element for hosting, selection, ect.

Allowing these to nest inside families (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/repeating-detail-components-inside-families/idi-p/1096811...) would allow users to create railing-like families without trying to hack the railing feature as is currently popular.

mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

Create an array within a family and nest it. Basically the same thing.

elmorei
Enthusiast

@mhiserZFHXS As I allude to in my post, the way the program handles arrays is much slower than the way it handles repeated details.  Repeated Detail items are also far less prone to break, and are easier to control.  They are not equivalent in terms of optimization.

elmorei
Enthusiast

@wr.marshall & @kimberly.fuhrman,
Thank you for your ongoing efforts to combine duplicate suggestions, but these two are distinct.  Joe is addressing repeating model components, and I am addressing repeating detail components within families.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report