Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve Materials and Material Browser

Improve Materials and Material Browser

Hello!

It is a fact that Material management in Revit is a big issue.

Here are some ideas:

1. Interface should be remade. It's chaotic. Focus on management. Try reducing pop-up windows everywhere. It should be quick. It looks like a patchwork.
  2. Material shared parameters created by us should appear on the IDENTITY tab, not inside that little button in the corner that no one sees. Also, the native "Class" parameter should be available on Schedules, cause now it's pretty much useless.
  3. Let us select more than one material and do things like choose the same pattern for them, change colours and so on.
  4. Put autofill when typing into a Material parameter field (inside a family, for instance), so I can start typing something and then select what I want on the list.
  5. Create more columns and filters on the Material list, so we can sort materials by Class and then Names, for instance. Filter them, group them. Let us choose the columns.
  6. Create a way to MERGE materials. For example: If have triplicated materials that should be 1. I can select 2 of them, click MERGE and choose the one that I want to keep. All elements using those first 2 materials now receive the 3rd material. Simple.
    1. This would be very useful for fill patterns and line styles.
  7. Create a warning for deleting a material that's in use and allow us to specify another material that will be applied to all elements using the deleted material, or I can choose to leave it empty <by category>.
    1. This would be very useful for fill patterns and line styles.
  8. Let us choose patterns as we prefer. Let the background pattern be a Model one.
  9. We should have more control of the textures. There are some tricks to control it but overall we have to accept whatever Revit does. At least create a way for us to set the starting point and angle of the texture on every surface, and lock it.
  10. I get the idea behind this Appearance system but I never really use it. It is more annoying than useful, at least to me. Keeping the appearances organised is HUGE task.
    1. Let us use commas and other symbols on Appearance names.
    2. Make it quicker.
    3. Review interface. Reduce the amount of popup windows.
    4. Put Graphics and Appearance side by side maybe? 
  11. Autodesk should have an online material database synchronized with all their software and we users and mainly companies could contribute to that. Not only with textures, but with proper detailed information (physical, thermal) about each material, that can be used later on schedules, analysis and quantities.

Bonus:

Hire me to have this kind of ideas and UX suggestions 🫶

Haha

Cheers! 😃

5 Comments
EthanBLU97
Explorer

OK I've held my tough long enough.... I have worked in Revit for +10 years and one of the ugliest pain points is working with Material assets, In particular appearance assets. Why is it so slow, and ridiculously hard to rename/manage/edit/control materials and how they appear. This lack of control is now compounded and highlighted by better and better visualization tools (Enscape, Twinmotion, etc.). 

Even the smallest thing, like renaming appearance assets, 50% of the time doesn't work. I rename the asset, hit enter, and it reverts to the old asset name. I duplicate the asset, try renaming it, and it flips back to the old name. I try to search for a material to put it in my custom library, but my open custom library disappears once a search for a material in the material editor so I can't drag and drop this newly found material into my library! So many small and frustrating quirks that make me feel like Autodesk enjoys the suffering of its users....

Ultimately, creating a library of reusable appearance assets is particularly frustrating and soul numbing. Please, Please, Please, Autodesk... If you can do one thing. Please OVERHAUL the entire appearance asset system and allow us to easily organize, control, rename, appearance assets... quickly and easily, and not have to click into multiple tabs to change one simple thing.

Simon_Weel
Advisor

All true. And there are MANY ideas covering this already. Paul Aubins idea is the best, IMO.

EthanBLU97
Explorer

@Simon_Weel ... Thanks for the link!

I realize offer no real solutions to the multitude of problems like some more dedicated folks in this community, but I know any genuine attention given to this topic by Autodesk would easily find improvements!  

If Autodesk wants to hire me, I'll happily improve their expensive software I pay for! 😂

ks2_wmb
Advocate

This is already on the roadmap for Revit 2029 (or thereabouts) - https://www.autodesk.com/blogs/aec/roadmap/revit-architecture-roadmap/?redirected=1

andrefiaschi
Contributor

@ks2_wmb Revit 2029? 😂😂

Based on Revit 2025 updates this is coming on Revit 2050.

Sad.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report