Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter schedule by elements visible on same sheet

Filter schedule by elements visible on same sheet

It would be great to be able to set a schedule so that when placed on a sheet it was filtered to only show elements visible on the sheet, similar to the way a color fill legend can automatically filter itself to the view it's placed on.

This would be of great use for schedules of room/space data, equipment data etc. etc.

It would need to be a dynamic filter so that the same schedule could be placed onto multiple sheets, with each showing different elements.

65 Comments
gseilerA6YML
Enthusiast

This is a great idea.  So good that I reposted it here before I found this thread:  

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/allow-schedules-to-be-filtered-by-view-name-or-scope-box/...

Let's get this fixed Autodesk!

gseilerA6YML
Enthusiast

This is a great idea.  So good that I reposted it here before I found this thread:  

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/allow-schedules-to-be-filtered-by-view-name-or-scope-box/...

Let's get this fixed Autodesk!

Curty102
Enthusiast
Love this idea. Much more attention needs to be given to Scope Boxes in general. If MORE THAN ONE PROJECT BASE POINT will not be allowed per project, then Scope Boxes are the next best candidates for managing multiple coordinate systems in a Project.
nemdaec10
Contributor

Agreed. This is long overdue. We need to increased filtering ability and to filter all schedules by sheet would be a big step in the right direction. 

nemdaec10
Contributor

Filtering by sheet should be expanded from keynoting to all schedule types. This is long overdue. 

owclemons3rd
Explorer

I was looking for the functionality as well.  It would be very useful for FF&E plans with many different types of furniture & equipment.

krzystoff
Advocate

Agreed.  Keynote Schedules do this for Keynotes -- there should be an option to do this for every type of schedule, (aside from Drawing Schedules perhaps).

Participant

The ability to override schedule formatting (mainly filtering) when placed on the sheet, much like instance parameters.

Example 1: A wall opening schedule that needs to be placed on an elevation sheet. It would be unreasonable to place a schedule of openings across the entire project; it would be just as unreasonable to make several schedules for each elevation. 

As an alternative, an additional opening parameter could be created; it would be attributed with corresponding elevation, and the schedule would be filtered by this parameter when placed on the sheet.

Example 2: Room schedules for each floor. This can be especially useful for large projects with multiple floors and lots of rooms. To avoid creating extra schedules for each floor, the main schedule could be filtered on each sheet by level values.

Thank you.

Best regards, Ilia Krachkovskii

Construction architect at Lovkachev&Partners

Tags (2)
twellins
Advocate

Hi there,

A great addition to revit would be the ability to shedule by view.  We have a mega project on the go at the moment with 16 sheets per floor.  Our construction team would like for us to schedule only items on each dependent view.

Currently we have a project parameter we fill in to do this.  Whilst there is likely to be a dynamo solution for this; Ideally an "out of the box" solution would undoubtedly be beneficial for all stakeholders. 

Tags (1)
kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @twellins 

There are several very similar Ideas. I am going to combine these together with yours to combine the votes.

Thank you for your submission!

Kimberly

RPTHOMAS108
Mentor

Hello @kimberly.fuhrman thanks for collecting and merging similar ideas on this subject.

This original idea featured at the top was slightly more restrictive than I had in mind i.e. I don’t want to have to create a sheet and place a view and a schedule on it in order to filter the schedule. Besides if you open such a schedule directly (outside of a sheet) then what does it contain?

I just want to filter a schedule based on what is in a view or set of views, considering that schedules are created for reasons other than being placed on a sheet. Similar to filtering by view with API.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@RPTHOMAS108  Thank you for the additional clarification. That will certainly help the product teams understand the different possibilities of application.

-Kimberly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I know I'm about to spend a few hours on Monday creating note block schedules for a project.... I've also been asked to teach my colleagues how to do the same for their projects. Which means they will also use their time duplicating schedules and manually updating filters.... a lot of time that could be used else where.

'Automatic filter by placed on sheet', that would be the dream!

Hopefully my additional post will add the voices asking for this.

kate.ruiter.wsn
Participant

The keynotes have a great built-in feature to allow you to filter the schedule by sheet.  This would be a great addition to the standard schedules.  We prefer to use a multi-category schedule and tags to tag the materials so users aren't having to deal with an external file, plus you have more freedom for the information you want to include.  But there is not a way to filter these schedules by sheets, unless you make a new schedule for every sheet which takes time and no longer makes sense to use these schedules.  Right now, we are moving backwards towards just using text instead of having smart details because of this issue.  

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @kate.ruiter.wsn ,

Here are some similar Ideas that we can combine with yours:

Filter schedule by elements visible on same sheet - Autodesk Community

Schedule filtering override by sheet - Autodesk Community

Thank you for your Idea submission!

-Kimberly

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

Yes, having a "and" "or" filter as well as having a "filter by sheet"  would make a huge difference to schedules in Revit.

As far as note blocks go, I feel they are a really old idea that didn't really work out but understand why you might use them, but they are not BIM. 

Considering that you made your post back in 2017 and we have still seen no signs of these requests any surveys leads me to believe that the Autodesk developers are not taking "serious documentation tools" seriously enough.

What a difference these simple tools could make!

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

davidrushforth
Explorer
Thank you for Accepting! I think it would be just as easy and very useful if ALL schedules were filterable by sheet (equipment schedules, conduit schedules, finish schedules, etc.)
Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator
Thank you so much for accepting this idea with note blocks, I am sure this
will make a lot of users very happy by giving them more flexibility with
documentation.

Question, are you going to include this feature with schedules as well?
This will make a really big difference for everyone, and having the ability
to have a "or" incorporated into schedule filters would be of a big benefit
to everyone as well.
If I need to create a new feature request for the above to get
momentum please let me know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report