Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upload new version of a non-workshared model to BIM Collaborate Pro

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
david.jGEPC5
978 Views, 5 Replies

How to upload new version of a non-workshared model to BIM Collaborate Pro

I have a Mechanical consultant Revit file that I have uploaded to our BIM 360 Document Management using the following process:

Upload a Non-Workshared Model to BIM 360 Document Management (Cloud Models for Revit)

We are linking this file into our Architecture Revit file. I would like to upload a new version of this non-workshared model, so that I can view/compare previous versions. 

When I try to upload, I get the error below:

model name duplicated.png

When I tried using Autodesk Desktop Connector, I get the error below

image.png 

When I tried uploading online through BIM 360 Documents, I get the error below:

Bim360 Online.JPG

Is there any way for me to upload a new version to the same location so I can easily compare to previous versions?
Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jade.l
in reply to: david.jGEPC5

Hi David, 

From your description, it looks like the mechanical consultant doesn't work on the non-workshared cloud model directly. If mechanical consultant work on the cloud model, he or she could publish a new version so that you could be able to get a new version in Docs. By reviewing different versions in BIM 360 Documents, you view/compare previous versions.  As for a new local model from mechanical consultant, you will have to upload it again with a different name.

jade.l

Message 3 of 6
david.jGEPC5
in reply to: jade.l

Hello Jade,

That is correct, the consultant is not using the cloud at all, and sends us periodic model updates. I agree, uploading as a new name is the easiest way to link into our model, but it won't allow us to "version" the consultant file. So far, I have not been able to find a way to do so.

Message 4 of 6
sasha.crotty

Hi David,

The suggestion to upload via Docs/Desktop Connector with a different name is a one-time operation. You can re-upload the model with the same name for subsequent versions from the consultant. 

The problem you're encountering now is that you have created a cloud model (which can't be replaced via re-upload) which is why Desktop Connector and Docs are blocking the operation. If you delete the cloud model or use a new name, you should be able to upload RVTs and they'll get versioned as you expect.

Thanks,

Sasha

Sasha Crotty
Director, AEC Design Data

Message 5 of 6

I'm having the same problem in a project. We are working with a partner when it would be easier to work off of BIM360 design. We are being sent Arch model by a third party (not on BIM360) that we need to link in our cloud model. We can't/don't want to use desktop connector so it seemed like a good idea to try "save as cloud model". It doesn't seem like we will be able to update that model when we are sent a new version...

What would be the proper way to use a third party model that does not have collaboration licences/does not have access to BIM 360 in our BIM360 cloud models?

Message 6 of 6
sasha.crotty

Hi Julien,

The integration with Desktop Connector is specifically designed to solve this problem. DC is the sync tool that enables Docs-based RVT files to be accessible to Revit for multiple users. In fact, it's the primary use case for why we supported Desktop Connector-based links in Revit. So the answer to "what would be the proper way?" is Desktop Connector. 

That said, there are definitely workarounds like a shared network location, but then the Architect's file does not reside in Docs.

It would be helpful to know why you're not able to use Desktop Connector.

Thanks,
Sasha

Sasha Crotty
Director, AEC Design Data

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report