Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workplane based element IFC mapping for level parameter

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
edgars_miskins
1297 Views, 4 Replies

Workplane based element IFC mapping for level parameter

My model contains levels.
I have some elements in my model, that are workplane based.
I need to export my model elements to IFC. They should have a custom parameter indicating the building level [Name of the level] they are contained in.
How can I create a IFC parameter mapping for 'level' for workplane based elements?

I am aware, that Revit somehow does this automatically. Unfortunately not all IFC software recognizes the level grouping created by Revit, hence I need to create a specific custom parameter that would contain a level name.

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: edgars_miskins

You can use IfcSpatialContainer. Add this as project (instance) parameter to the desired family categories.

For this to work you need to fulfill some prerequisites.

-You will need the IFC 20xx Addin (free on the App Store)

-The levels in Revit that you use to assign your elements to need the parameter Building Story checked.

Capture.PNG

So for the desired elements you would fill it like this

Capture2.PNG

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 5
edgars_miskins
in reply to: L.Maas

Thank you for the reply!

This seems to work. 

I have a question. I've created and added the IfcSpatialContainer parameter. By default, the parameter is empty. Do I have to fill in the parameter value manually for each element? Maybe, there is some way to automate this?

Maybe I'm wrong, but Revit seems to be able to tell which level contains which element. Some IFC software (e.g. Solibri) is able to read the exported IFC and group all elements by floor correctly without additional parameters.
Solibri_7f1xyBFenE.png

But others (e.g. Trimble Connect) cannot.

So my idea was, maybe there is a way to make use of this hidden floor parameter (AFAIK, it's not explicitly defined, but elements are still grouped by level as seen in Solibri) and map the contents to my own parameter?

Message 4 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: edgars_miskins

Depending on the category Revit sometimes uses Level to connect elements to a certain level and in other instance it uses "Reference Level" which will indicate to which level it is connected.

If your element is on a level that is not marked as a building story then the element in IFC is connected to the level  (building story) below.

With IFC you are always dependent the IFC writing software and the IFC reading software. Depending on how these are implemented and used might give different results. S

I probably would create a Dynamo script to read level information from Revit and then push that information to the IfcSpatialContainer parameter.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 5
edgars_miskins
in reply to: L.Maas

Ok. I see.

I also thought of using Dynamo for this, but decided to ask, just in case a simpler solution existed.

But I guess nothing is ever simple in Revit. 😄

Thank you for the explanation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report