Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window Schedule Parameter issues

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
robinG3P9Q
642 Views, 11 Replies

Window Schedule Parameter issues

So this hopefully might be a simple question, but I'm new to scheduling/parameters in Revit, so any help is much appreciated.

To simplify this example, I have two different window types from two separate manufacturers. One of the the window manufacturers, let's call it A, includes a parameter in the window family type called "cladding material". The other window manufacturer, B, does not include a parameter called "cladding material". Now what we want to do is have one parameter column in the window schedule that specifies the material for the window cladding for all windows in the project, from both manufacturer A and B. However, right now the "cladding material" column in our window schedule only lists the material for windows made from manufacturer A, while windows from manufacturer B display as empty. What is the best way to get it so that we can just have one column in our schedule that displays the cladding material for all windows from any manufacturers, A and B, and any future C or D, etc.? Does my question make sense? Please let me know what to do, and let me know if you need any more information to answer my question. Thank you very much!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
PhilvK
in reply to: robinG3P9Q

Have you tried making the same parameter available in the family for 'B'

Message 3 of 12
robinG3P9Q
in reply to: PhilvK

I think we tried but failed to do this. What is the correct way to do so? Thank you!

Message 4 of 12
RDAOU

@robinG3P9Q 

this is a shared parameter and you must export it first then add it to the other family. This is a must to have the same GUID and dont end up with 2 columns

RDAOU_0-1640025649358.png

1. First Edit the Family A
  2. Edit the Material Parameter and Export it (it will be saved in your Shared Parameters .txt file under Exported Parameters)
  3. Save and close family A
  4. Open Family B
  5. Add Parameter (
    • select Shared Parameter>>
    • Click "Select"
    • and navigate to the Exported Parameters category
  6. Add the same Parameter you have exported in step 2 above

Reload the family to the model...now both should share the same Material Parameter in the schedule

If you need them all to share the same material (example: Aluminum Blue) ...in the project, Link them all to a Global Parameter.

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 12
barthbradley

Associate all the like Parameters to a Global Parameter that is of the Reporting kind.   

Message 6 of 12
robinG3P9Q
in reply to: RDAOU

This was the information we needed to figure it out, thank you very much! Much appreciated!

@RDAOU 

Message 7 of 12
RDAOU

@robinG3P9Q 

You are welcome

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 8 of 12
robinG3P9Q

NEVERMIND, I think I figured it out! I just edited the family for the window, and changed the material parameter associated with the material of the component of the window, and it appears to work. Is that how you would advise doing it as well?

@RDAOU  Okay, I actually have a follow up question now if you are up for helping again.

How do we "link" new parameters we create to the families in a way so that it actually changes the display output? To clarify, for these windows I'm working with, we have a new shared parameter called "interior material", and we can set it to any material we want, and that's what it shows in the schedule, which is great. But to make things more complicated, we'd like that parameter value to dictate the actual material of the window's interior, so that it shows up in a render. How would that work? As an example, I set the "interior material" parameter for the window to a green paint as a test, and I'd like to then see the window interior using that green paint material in the renderer (we use Enscape). How do I do this? Is it doable? 

Thank you very much for all your help!

Message 9 of 12
RDAOU

@robinG3P9Q 

You can do the following:

1. Open the family
  2. Use the Paint tool
  3. And select the One which says "Param: Material"
    • This will the the material shared parameter you created

Then paint the interior surface of the Extrusion or sweep. ... I have an old GIF I will look it up and post it

Edit see GIF (This is an In-Place family but the Same principle can be used in a window family)

Paint.gif

Message 10 of 12
RDAOU

@robinG3P9Q 

Here is another GIF also an old one from a previous post ... Paint parameter in a window

Paint Parameter.gif

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

@RDAOU, What software do you use to make GIFT?

Message 12 of 12
RDAOU
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

LICEcap, Giphy, Snagit and Cloudapp

I use all the above...depending if I need editing or exporting to different format or just small/compressed captures

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report