Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window opening

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
DrenAhmeti
695 Views, 9 Replies

Window opening

Hi,

I have a general question, is it better to have the window families built with voids or opening?

Or it depends on the case. If that is so can you please suggest when you would use each of the option.

Or maybe use both at the same time.

I am interested on how the others approach this since I am planning to do my own window families which are for older buildings so there is a lot of "openings" in the inside/outside niche etc.

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pedruccioli
in reply to: DrenAhmeti

The "natural" way is to have the Width as a control parameter, portraining the "parceived" size of the window, while the "Rough Width" relates to a constructive parameter, the one a worker will use to do an opening and fit the frame.

My way of working is creating reference planes with a paremeter called "Frame Width" or something like that, where the internal side is the width (built-in parameter), and the external side is the rough width (also built-in parameter). All good so far.

Architecture Modelling, BIM Workflows and Information Exchange.
LinkedIn
Message 3 of 10
DrenAhmeti
in reply to: pedruccioli

Thanks.

I would like to know more about the voids and cuts. I saw some prefer one or the other. The thing is that in the older buildings you have a cut profile which has like a narrowing in the middle where the frame is and the inside has a different cut(void) from the outside which can have even an angled cut which would have to be controlled by a blended void I assume. They also have a niche cut throughout in the inside for example where radiators would be located.

Just wanted to see if anyone has had this instance come up. 

Thank you!

Message 4 of 10
barthbradley

There are no hard-and-fast rules, if that's what you are wondering about.  But, regarding using both an Opening and a Void Cut in the same Family/host; you can't.  However, there are workarounds.     

Message 5 of 10
ToanDN

You can have both, opening cut and voids, in a door or window family, despite Revit saying no.

Message 6 of 10
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

Opening and Cut.png

Workaround: nested void cut .  

Message 7 of 10

you can not combine Opening with Void.

• I use Opening when the Cut into the Wall is perpendicular on its surface - that's the case for the most of windows I made.
  • But if I need to place the Window (or Door) with the cut at a different angle then 90 degrees (as for instance a church window) then I use one or multiple Voids combined..

An example of a church window

w01.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
barthbradley

@DrenAhmeti wrote:

Thanks.

I would like to know more about the voids and cuts. I saw some prefer one or the other. The thing is that in the older buildings you have a cut profile which has like a narrowing in the middle where the frame is and the inside has a different cut(void) from the outside which can have even an angled cut which would have to be controlled by a blended void I assume. They also have a niche cut throughout in the inside for example where radiators would be located.

Just wanted to see if anyone has had this instance come up. 

Thank you!

Sounds like this is more about framing than about the opening.  

FRAMING.png

Message 9 of 10

Hi @constantin.stroescu ,

Thank you. My thinking is more into the actual openings. Lets say that they are perpendicular but I need 3 cuts for the window:

1-The actual cut where the frame sits, either with tolerance or not that is not important,

2-The cut on the outside which has the place from the outside of the frame toward the outside which can have an offset from the actual frame, so for example 3cm inset from the actual window opening/void.

3-The inside cut, which can be bigger lets say 10 cm bigger than the window cut.

So we would have 3 voids. If we can't use window opening with voids I guess we have to delete the opening and use voids only?

Message 10 of 10

Opening Cuts the Wall on its whole width , so, yes,  if you want to cut it in steps, then you'll have to use Voids with  depth controlled by parameters

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report